Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Midnight Aurora

:crybaby: There was a surprise substorm last night and I had the wrong camera. These are awful looking, but you can still see the height of the glow and a few blurred spikes. There's an Iridium flare in the last one, just below the handle of the Big Dipper. 8)

30 second tripod-mounted shots, Nikon CP 4300.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very eary, were these taken from your latitude or elsewhere.? im wondering how far from the poles you can go and still see aurora, ive seen the northern lights in st andrew's (55°N) but never here at 52°N.

The pics were taken from my land at 45°28'N. When the storm is strong enough, they've seen the Aurora all the way down in Greece and Mexico but it doesn't happen too often, and to my knowledge only during the solar max. The reason I get such good displays here is because my location is below the geomagnetic pole, and the geomagnetic latitude lines swerve southward.

The colored lines on that map are an indication of how strong the storm has to be in order for the Aurora to be seen at a location. Here is the map for Eurasia.. although I'm at a lower geographic latitude than northern Scotland is, I have the same geomagnetic latitude and get the same intensity of displays. :hello2:

I agree with the others Carol, great shots you've taken there. I've only been lucky to see the Aurora once here at my lat (51 N), it was a reddish colour and looked like a curtain billowing in a breeze, i was pretty sure i could hear a hissing sound as well. Unfortunately i didn't have a camera handy to record it. :hello2:

phill

:clouds1: Thanks Phill, it was just a small substorm.. wait till the solar max gets into full swing. :hello2:

I've never heard the Aurora, but 4 members of my Aurora groups throughout the years have, and they described it exactly as you did.. a hissing sound. The young daughter (6) of one member said she heard a faint crackling noise, too.

Apparently it's thought that a physiological factor might be responsible for producing the phenomenon. In other words, it's all in your head.. literally. They think the nervous system might be affected by the Aurora-producing electromagnetic field, and certain people can actually pick it up inside their heads. 8)

Here's something interesting... Stephen P. McGreevy's ground-based ELF-VLF recordings. There are a number of Auroral Choruses in there... probably not the same thing you heard, but absolutely fascinating nonetheless. :mrgreen:

:lol: Thanks Phill, it was just a small substorm.. wait till the solar max gets into full swing. :hello2:

I've never heard the Aurora, but 4 members of my Aurora groups throughout the years have, and they described it exactly as you did.. a hissing sound. The young daughter (6) of one member said she heard a faint crackling noise, too.

Apparently it's thought that a physiological factor might be responsible for producing the phenomenon. In other words, it's all in your head.. literally. They think the nervous system might be affected by the Aurora-producing electromagnetic field, and certain people can actually pick it up inside their heads. 8)

Here's something interesting... Stephen P. McGreevy's ground-based ELF-VLF recordings. There are a number of Auroral Choruses in there... probably not the same thing you heard, but absolutely fascinating nonetheless. :mrgreen:

That's a peculiar sound Carol!! Reminds me of under water Whale song, or maybe ET landing :clouds1:

Jeff.

...or maybe ET landing :clouds1:

Jeff.

:hello2: Jeff... is there something you've been wanting to tell us? :lol:

Come to think of it, some of them do sound like whales. I've never had the priviledge of hearing them in person, though... just on nature shows.

One of the .wav files on the site did actually sound very similar to what i heard Carol, it was this one 23a2228.wav, but without the "bird call" sounds. Would love to see/hear another Aurora sometime and to be able to take a photo of it as well.

Archived