Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M97 The Owl Nebula - not easy!

PeterCPC

I had a go at the Owl last night. What a difficult blighter! This is the result of 26 subs of 300 secs at 1600iso using the C9.25 at it's native focal length and the modded 1200d with an Astronomik UHC-E filter.

Not very good really. Any comments/suggestions welcomed as usual.

Peter

Image1_filtered.jpg

Very strange textures on the actual nebula.  Could it be the seeing combined with such a long focal length?  I have recently been having difficulty getting anything reasonable with my CPC1100 which I have put down to the seeing.  But your stars look OK - albeit a bit colourless.

Sorry, this is not constructive criticism, just criticism.  But I was happy to see that I am not alone in having problems at the moment imaging at f10.

Chris

Hi Chris, yes I think that the seeing was a big factor - I don't normally image DSOs with the C9.25 but I wanted to give it a go on such a small DSO as the image would have been so small using my refractors.

Peter

That's not a bad capture at all i'd say. You have a rather dim scope, and you're working at around 2,5x the focal length as i am - and here i can't even have a good tracking at 1000mm haha.

Archived