NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Auriga is surprisingly good!

pipnina

I got the chance to go out observing last night (first time in a little while). Looked at some usual targets: M43, Flame, Pleiades. Managed to see M78 for the first time. I had a wonder around Auriga last night, since I'd noticed a grey fuzz in the middle of it naked-eye and wanted to see it a bit closer.

It became a bright open cluster through the finder, about where the flaming star would be (if my skies weren't quite so hazy and bright). I also noticed some new grey fuzzy patches nearby in the constellation, looking at them through the 24mm EP I found them to be some very nice looking clusters. Dense, bright and patterned. I'd seen some listed in Stellarium but didn't know they were this easy to find/see. A nice discovery.

Also, naturally the eskimo evades me yet again... 

~pip

A photo from the night:

4dcuQW8.jpg

Great photo Pip. You've got the Flame in there, and with a bit of imagination there is a dark splodge right where the Horsey should be!!

The Auriga Clusters are lovely, I assume you were looking at M36, 37 and 38 amongst others? Very nice

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

The Auriga Clusters are lovely, I assume you were looking at M36, 37 and 38 amongst others? Very nice

Exactly! Auriga is a lovely and rewarding constellation. Whenever I have the opportunity, I spend a lot of time looking at M36, M37 and M38, bagging in M35 along the way as well, another wonder in Gemini not that far away from Auriga.

When you are observing M38, have a look at the small open cluster NGC 1907, with a few stars, very compact, and at the open cluster NGC 1893. This cluster is "Y"-shaped with four superimposed 8-9 mag stars and gives a beautiful look with my 8" f/4. It is embedded in the nebula IC 410, which I could detect at the vision's limit a few nights ago, using a UHC filter. The cluster can easily be found about  1.25° SE of the asterism "Flying Minnow" and is almost in the same field of view in my Baader Zoom 24-8 mmf (set at 24 mm).

Both clusters are shown in the Pocket Sky Atlas and can also be found in Debo's picture above; 1893 just below the  "Flying Minnow" (the lower one of the two magenta spots at the picture's right side).

Good luck when hunting them down with your 10".

A Happy New Year and Clear Skies to all!

Stephan

Pip, the grey fuzz is right where the Flaming star is and now that you know where to point the scope, point it there often and with a good UHC. Auriga is a favorite constellation for me and M37 a favorite cluster. Viewing it through the 15"/binos makes me drag my jaw on the ground all night. Keep upping the mag in a widefield until the lanes pop out...

Nice to see you back posting Pip.

A great constalation to be sure. There is some good nebulea action in amoungst the many clusters. Although, you may need some darker sky if you are strugling with the relatively bright Eskimo (try a UHC filter).

Paul

13 hours ago, jetstream said:

Pip, the grey fuzz is right where the Flaming star is and now that you know where to point the scope, point it there often and with a good UHC. Auriga is a favorite constellation for me and M37 a favorite cluster. Viewing it through the 15"/binos makes me drag my jaw on the ground all night. Keep upping the mag in a widefield until the lanes pop out...

Indeed, I will certainly be returning to Auriga soon :) I may get a filter or two as well, since I haven't had one since selling my 130p... Maybe an h-beta and an OIII...

11 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Nice to see you back posting Pip.

A great constalation to be sure. There is some good nebulea action in amoungst the many clusters. Although, you may need some darker sky if you are strugling with the relatively bright Eskimo (try a UHC filter).

Paul

DST and summer non-nights made sure there wasn't too much to post about... And then the nights got longer and the clouds rolled in. The night I made this report was the only clear day in a month of cloud :sad2:

I wouldn't blame my sky personally... My ability to get lost is limitless :D "Uranus is RIGHT THERE in the screenshot!"

Archived