Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Golf Battery Packs

ejp1684

I'm thinking of getting a battery pack to power a dew heater and focus control, and I saw some Golf Battery Packs on ebay for about £125. They seem to get good reviews, and are rated at 12v 16ah. Just wondered if anyone uses one of these and what they think of them. I'm also looking at Tracer, but the golf ones - if they are ok - seem to give better value for money.

Eric.

The tracer ones are good for 1400+ cycles, so thats less than 16p a time (16Ah @ £219)

The larger capacity batteries are better value and of course each of the 1400+ cycles is also longer. (22Ah @ £239 = 17p a cycle and you get >33% longer per cycle)

** AND the biggest batteries come with beafier chargers which charge is less time than the smaller ones **

Hi, used golf battery packs for powering a portable amature radio which used to draw around 3 amps, the bigger ones (36 hole) ones are better as they last a bit longer (around 6 hours @ 3amps). Just watch out as the cheap ones are gel type lead acid which are perfectly adequate but heavyweights when compared to the lithium ones

I'm using one at the moment and I've installed it into a toolbox I got from B&q I've put a 240v inverter in an a bank of cigarette lighter plugs with a couple of usb power points in as well, nice balance and it will enable me to get to dark skies and still guide with the laptop  seems to hold up well and I've not had it run out yet

Baz

Ive got the 24Ah LiFePO4. Had it for 2 years. Have not had any issues. I run the CPC & two 11 inch dew straps with it and can get two good length sessions before the I am down to the orange light. The 24Ah batteries come with a more powerful charger and mine charges back to full in around 5 hours.

They are waterproof, have a carrying handle and have the + and - screws so you can attach with ring terminals (I use these) so the connection is nice and solid and won't come off.

Hi Eric,

You can buy a 20AH LiPO4 battery including charger for about £210 all in, see here.

Only my own opinion but I think Tracer are overpriced. I am using a 24 volt LiPO4 battery from these people and it seems to be very good quality. Certainly holds its charge very well and the charger is easy to use - red light when charging changes to green when battery is full.

Regards, Hugh

Check your local Halfords, mine has golf batteries in at a somewhat reduced price, they only had 3 options - I assume they were a clearance item. But if I recall the one I was looking at was initially £65 now £25. So a fair reduction.

Very heavy as in dense and they seem to need a specific battery charger. They were Yuasa VRLA types, checked the Yuasa website and they seem pretty good, Yuasa say they can be used upside down, but suggest you do not try it. However if they suit it is a good option. Still depends if a Halfords near you has the same items.

i use one of these. BRILLIANT

http://www.libertybatteries.com/10-discount---limited-offer---36-hole-lithium-golf-trolley-battery-package-including-fast-charger-neoprene-bag-and-t-bar-lead-97-p.asp

As i use Anderso Powerpole/Torberry connectors it was perfect otherwise you will need one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/tracer-t-bar-std-to-12v-cigar-socket-025m.html

again they do work with the Liberty. I got one as a back up "just in case".

Archived