Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 1073 LRGB

Freddie

Got the subs for this a week or so back whilst I was waiting for my intended target to come into view. Wanted to get this as the galaxy is nice enough in itself but research had shown there was something of interest in the same FOV. It's 7x15mins L and 4x3mins each for RGB.

ngc1073LRGB.png

What's of particular interest though is that there are 3 quasars showing through the arms of the galaxy which are shown more clearly in the inverted L image below

ngc1073Lpscropinvlabel.png

The galaxy is ~50 million light years away which is far enough but the quasars (from top to bottom) are ~10 billion, ~5 billion and ~ 9 billion light years away!!!!

Thanks for your comments guys.

Position wise it's slightly higher than Orion. Took these quite early so not best position but it was more about capturing those quasars rather than wanting best position to capture good subs for the galaxy.

I'm with you Paddy. It's hard to comprehend these ages and distances. That top one is over 70% the age of the universe and it's going to take more than a long weekend if you fancy going on holiday there!!!!!

Archived