SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Name a star for FREE!

Stub Mandrel

If " Doppelsterne" means double star, I now have a certificate from the free German site commemorating my two favourite dogs, Napoleon and Josephine. Josephine is now dead, but Napoleon continues as my faithful companion. So the certificate is a bit of fun and I know it, pointless if you like, but my memories are sincere! Now, friends, don't get all weepy - I'm almost as hard as Chuck Norris :icon_biggrin:

Seriously however, I was recently looking at one of the paid sites - 10 quid, but they do send you a physical package. What surprised and saddened me were page after page of testimonials. Most of these were for very serious and tragic events in people's lives - the death of a child, partner or parent. I'm guessing that the majority of these customers bought their certificate in the belief these had some legitimate authority.

Perhaps it really doesn't matter if it gives them some consolation? But, I for one feel that in such moments of grief, people shouldn't be ripped off.

So, if these fun free certificate sites help to put the "fake" commercial sites out of business, I won't be sorry!

2 minutes ago, estwing said:

might as well name a tree

People do! When Winston Churchill died, there was a campaign to plant a crab-apple tree in his memory - my mother did.

But, at least a tree is genuine - there's no con. Sites which try to convince you that their certificates have some legal authority are a fraud which preys on the susceptibility of people who it seems are in many cases emotionally distressed.

It looks like you can pay for certificates etc. if you want to, but unlike the others you can just name it yourself and print off the details. Also tehy offer you various un-named stars, rather than letting you rename Vega as 'Star God Stub Destroyer of Worlds'

11 hours ago, estwing said:

Don't see the point myself...

Mate, if your young fella misguidedly bought you one of these (or in this case got it for free) as a xmas gift, I'm absolutely sure you'd see the point. the value of any gift is in the giving :D .

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Mate, if your young fella misguidedly bought you one of these (or in this case got it for free) as a xmas gift, I'm absolutely sure you'd see the point. the value of any gift is in the giving :D .

Make mine a double then!

Archived