Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation 8" F/6 M-CRF Premium Dobsonian

I am looking into astronomy as a new hobby. I mainly want to see planets, moon and some stars. I want to be able to see them in detail as opposed to a blurry dot in the sky. Anything else I can see will be a bonus.  Are these any good?  If not can you recommend something similar price or cheaper. 

Revelation 8" F/6 M-CRF Premium dobsonian.

Revelation 8" f/6 M-CRF Premium Dobsonian Telescope - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

As they say, Clear skys. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello. The revelation to my knowledge is a decent scope for the beginner. The mirror I understand are made by GSO in Taiwan , and the same type as used by meade . 

Another option which is very popular and has very good opinions is the skywatcher 200p Dobson. These have the 8" aperture but mirror made by Synta of China and are a similar scope. People seems to buy a lot more of the skywatcher than they do the revelation.

they are probably similar in performance, but due to the great feedback the skywatcher 200p receives if it was me then this would be the scope I would buy. The 200p is a great beginner's scope and will take you to the intermediate stage. Good for planetary and also capable on DSO. By the way do not expect images you see from Hubble through a backyard telescope?

I hope the above helps☺

Thank you for the reply. Apparently, I'm a novice, the revelation has better specs. I know I am not going to see things like they do at NASA, Could you attach a picture of plant as I would see it? 

Revelation

• ·         8" Parabolic primary mirror (1/12 wave, manufacturer's stated measurement)

• ·         Focal length: 1200mm, F/6

• ·         2" Precision Micro 10:1 Crayford style focuser

• ·         3 points mirror cell w/cooling fan.

• ·         Roller bearing heavy duty wood base with handles

• ·         Standard accessories:

• ·         8x50mm fully multi-coated achromatic finderscope

• ·         Premium Plossl 9mm (1.25")

• ·         Premium widefield SP26mm (2") 

• ·         2" Eyepieces tray

• ·         Shipping weight (including boxes) Tube: 15.4kg Base:13.8kg

Skywatcher

• ·         Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x48 & x120

• ·         Highest Practical Power (Potential): x406

• ·         Diameter of Primary Mirror: 203mm

• ·         Telescope Focal Length: 1200mm (f/5.91)

• ·         Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm

• ·         Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Focuser

• ·         Parabolic Primary Mirror

• ·         0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports

• ·         9x50 Finderscope

• ·         Direct SLR Camera Connection

• ·         Wooden Alt-Azimuth Mount with Accessory Tray

• ·         77% more Light Gathering than 150mm

Hello. This will give you an idea of what is possible 

plansizes.jpg.c32e72582b173278bfdeacd36f1b69c0.jpg

Obviously. A lot depends on the exact configuration of the scope. The seeing conditions in the atmosphere. The site you are at. Light pollution, or a dark site. The location of the planets at the time of viewing. 

I hope you like the above and it is helpful☺

I've never seen detail on Venus, but I don't get much chance to observe it. Jupiter and saturn are pretty good representations on good nights, as long as they aren't too low. Mars is currently low and far away, again I've never seen any detail, but people with more patience than me, have. The moon nearly always looks good, because it's so bright and near. I find that planets don't suffer too much in LP, but they aren't always visible.

stars will only ever look like points, they are just too far away, but you can see some lovely colours and split a lot of double stars. And some nice open clusters are visible.

galaxies and nebulea really come out in dark skies, and this scope is more than capable of giving good Views of a lot of these.

2 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I've never seen detail on Venus, but I don't get much chance to observe it. Jupiter and saturn are pretty good representations on good nights, as long as they aren't too low. Mars is currently low and far away, again I've never seen any detail, but people with more patience than me, have. The moon nearly always looks good, because it's so bright and near. I find that planets don't suffer too much in LP, but they aren't always visible.

stars will only ever look like points, they are just too far away, but you can see some lovely colours and split a lot of double stars. And some nice open clusters are visible.

galaxies and nebulea really come out in dark skies, and this scope is more than capable of giving good Views of a lot of these.

Thank you for your advice. I just don't want be disappointed and just see blurry objects that could be a plane, star or planet. I don't expect to see ET scratch his ass but would like to at least know what i'm looking at.

Just noticed you have the skywatcher 200, which Is the scope I want and you live near me. Could I be cheeky and ask if I could meet you next time you're out so I can see what the scope is like. 

That image above  does replicate  what I see on Jupiter, though have not seen the other Planets due to my limited sky horizon?
In fact I have seen Jupiter in better detail with a clear black dot ( Moon Shadow) as one of the Moons made its transit across Jupiter, as they do all the time. But this has only been captured by me once in such 'seeing' perfect conditions.
You need to be patient to get the better views. I also view from a light polluted garden?

Both telescopes the  Revelation/Skyliner in all honesty should provide the same final detail. The conditions will always dictate, and more often than not, conditions win ( to their benefit, not ours) but when its good, it cant get any better from  down here on planet earth.

NO.

Not having tried one, that might be a little abrupt, but only half the telescope aperture of the 200, its not just half as much you lose in image quality and light capture, its much more. 
I also have a 5" Celestron, again no, the performance is ok on the Moon, but that's about it for me, the 200 is so much better, In-fact I cant remember seeing Jupiter with any detail in the 5", but that's a unique scope for the wrong reasons?

Both are very good scopes for beginners. I have the skywatcher and can see fine detail on Jupiter such as the GRS, festoons and the main bands. Of course this very much depends on the sky conditions on any given night.

Details can also be seen on Saturn and Mars when the are well placed in the sky. Unfortunately this will not happen in the next few years.

The Moon can be quite breath taking on a good night and phase.

So all in all both would be a good choice for you.

Correct.  Its not something I would recommend, especially when you have already referenced  the  two  telescopes  at the start of this thread, the 100 is a massive step-back imho.
I feel the 8" is the best point of access into astronomy, possibly even the 6"  when you wish to just observe the night skies.
The Dobsonian base mount is the easiest to use and set up, does not need critical alignment, so your up and running almost as soon as the scope is outside ( most scopes need to cool to reach their  optimum performance)

Basically I think the conscious is that it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other!

I agree with not going for the smaller one.  I had much the same debate when getting a scope between a 6" and 8" and ended up going for the 6. Every time I went out though I had the nagging voice in my head wondering what I was missing out on by not getting the 8". In the end I caved and now have both! If you go for the smaller one after looking at the 8"scores you will always be wondering!!!

2 minutes ago, popeye85 said:

Basically I think the conscious is that it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other!

I agree with not going for the smaller one.  I had much the same debate when getting a scope between a 6" and 8" and ended up going for the 6. Every time I went out though I had the nagging voice in my head wondering what I was missing out on by not getting the 8". In the end I caved and now have both! If you go for the smaller one after looking at the 8"scores you will always be wondering!!!

I want the 8" but the £300 price tag to "see if I like astronomy" seems a bit risky. I can't find anyone in my area with one that will let me tag along and see if I like it. 

popeye85...we will forever be thinking should I get the next one?
I`d love to have the 12" to compare alongside my 8" as I`m advised, and reading along the lines that there may be a subtle difference as to what I can see from my present site.
If I could  see  a  bigger  image (2x) with  more detail, using the next scope, it would be a no brainer to go larger, just for the visual benefits, and not having to transport the scope away from home, but then comes the size, weight, transportation and cost issues?

They do not make the Skyliner 12" solid tube anymore, I  have not manged to secure one over the last Year, so almost resigned to keep the scope I already have, with a few mods, that have been sitting on the back burner.
The 8" is a great scope, and I know my scope as far superior  from another site, that's proven, and on axis will probably be just as good as the 12" away from home, so for now, I`m keeping the 8".

You don't need to join these clubs, but the  first visit to one of their meetings is usually free and  could prove invaluable? The first club  in the list has a member on the site, @Peter Drew.

http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Default.aspx?CountyId=47

I know Christmas is less than a Month away, but there's no rush to buy. the Stars are not going anywhere, just take your time, you`ll be better rewarded from it.

7 minutes ago, BiPolarGhost said:

I want the 8" but the £300 price tag to "see if I like astronomy" seems a bit risky. I can't find anyone in my area with one that will let me tag along and see if I like it. 

A 150P f8 dob would be quite a good entry into astronomy, they perform surprisingly well and I'm sure you could pick one up second hand for a good pric. The longer focal length will be easier on eyepieces and useful for planetary observing.

The 200p will show you a more detailed view, but sometimes will be more affected by seeing conditions.

As an example of what you might see, this is a picture taken with an iPhone at the eyepiece of an admittedly high quality frac, but a four inch aperture. A 150p or 200p would also show this detail.

This image is much more blurry than the actual view seen at the eyepiece, but still shows the main equatorial belts, some other surface detail and also the black dot of a shadow transit on the surface.

IMG_2951.JPG

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

A 150P f8 dob would be quite a good entry into astronomy, they perform surprisingly well and I'm sure you could pick one up second hand for a good pric. The longer focal length will be easier on eyepieces and useful for planetary observing.

The 200p will show you a more detailed view, but sometimes will be more affected by seeing conditions.

As an example of what you might see, this is a picture taken with an iPhone at the eyepiece of an admittedly high quality frac, but a four inch aperture. A 150p or 200p would also show this detail.

This image is much more blurry than the actual view seen at the eyepiece, but still shows the main equatorial belts, some other surface detail and also the black dot of a shadow transit on the surface.

IMG_2951.JPG

Hi. It's taken from a 4" refractor . A refractor is a lens type scope. The 8" revelation and 200p are mirror based scope. Two different types of scope. A refractor scope will generally produce a sharper crisper image, and a reflector scope a softer image. But you will get decent views still with a reflector and a lot more aperture for your money. Therefore bang for buck go with a reflector 

Hope this helps☺

29 minutes ago, BiPolarGhost said:

Do I just turn up on saturday night at the meets or do I need to contact him, the email address on the site is wrong. 

I would just look at the weather and if its a clear night,  pop along and see what they have. 
If were talking about the Astronomy Centre, I have not tried the email address you mention, but you could Private message Peter here at SGL, I`m sure he won't mind!

Archived