Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Making a start on M45

Well I got 18x300s , HA,Olll,Sll last night and try to get  more tonight but no luck at all , so I put them in the pot to see how it come out still got some blue rings round Stars but not looking to bad so more data and off to Gimp for a clean up. I think its good to put a image in here so I can see how it may look later.

fri x3 j.jpg

8 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Narrowband sounds like hard work for M45!

Yes agree with Louise, not much point in doing NB on M45 although there is a small amount of red in long exposures.

That much data in LRGB would be showing lots of blue nebulosity.

Dave

43 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Yes agree with Louise, not much point in doing NB on M45 although there is a small amount of red in long exposures.

That much data in LRGB would be showing lots of blue nebulosity.

Dave

Agreed, why NB on M45????

It's a great effort, focus is good, and guiding spot on, but I have to agree with the above. M45 has mainly reflection nebulae surrounding it, that benefit from LRGB. With NB, you will struggle to get good colour out of it. OTOH, if you point your scope up, you can catch the California Neb, which is a great NB target.

The Moon was close by so nb was the best one to use and I was going to add L over the top later, got 2x300s in L and try this out to see if it pull out  the  wispery  bit with out the blue side and it works ok,  have not use them as the Moon make the QC way to high. I  got to stay away from them ugly blue rings round Stars.

As others have said, imaging a reflection nebula using narrowband filters is counter-productive I'm afraid. While they do a good job of keeping out light pollution and moonlight they are equally efficient blocking the light from broadband targets, such as galaxies and reflection nebulae. Using narrowband filters on a broadband target won't improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

Emission nebulae are hot and each element glows with a very specific colour, while reflection nebulae are visible because dust is reflecting starlight of all colours although they scatter blue light more efficiently.

Guiding looks good, have you tried the Pacman nebula? It's a very bright emission nebula and would make a good narrowband target while the Moon is around.

There is red to be seen, just about, around M45 but it is ERE (extended red emission) rather than Ha as we know and love it. It is often found around dusty nebulae. ERE is a current area of research as I understand it. Like the others I think that NB on M45 will reveal a dead horse, alas.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

There is red to be seen, just about, around M45 but it is ERE (extended red emission) rather than Ha as we know and love it. It is often found around dusty nebulae. ERE is a current area of research as I understand it. Like the others I think that NB on M45 will reveal a dead horse, alas.

Olly

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead, I love experimenting so I have nothing to lose.

The Moon is a real spoiler for deep sky imaging and NB is a good solution but I do agree with the others that M45 is not going to respond well to this type of imaging apart from capturing just the stars. Thankfully there are plenty of suitable NB objects around so I'd recommend that you concentrate on them and leave M45 for a crisp, moonless night when you will be able to reveal its true beauty.

As for ERE (extended red emission); as I understand it, this is a broadband equivalent of Ha emission. But since it is emitted by solid particles (silicon-based it seems), the spectrum is much wider than for hydrogen gas (hence the "extended"). Because it has an extended spectrum, it is also MUCH fainter. I doubt if it will ever make it above the noise and skyglow level in the AP that we mere mortals pursue.

I checked a few articles on ERE (http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/1990ApJ...355..182W/0000184.000.html for one). It was investigated near Merope (M45), NGC2037 and NGC1333 among other targets. The latter of two have been posted here recently.

If anyone feels inclined to try to catch it on ccd/cmos, the best setup would be a sensor which has high QC near 700 nm, combined with a 200 nm red filter, and some SERIOUSLY dark skies. In short, not for the faint-hearted or clear-sky-deprived.

Good luck

Think the camera may be up for it but uk skys will let me down . up date my set up again so allways easy to work from something you can see  ,so my time is more down to getting the set up right .

Just added a add on  to sgp so this may get me to the same spot night after night I hade 30 days free and it run out  and only got 2 nights in the weather for Nov bad very bad so far .

Hi

I reckon the best way to getting to the same spot/target is to use platesolving. :) I can't visually see any targets from where I am so rely on platesolving most of the time. Once aligned, my Nextstar+ handset is pretty good at slewing to a target but platesolving gets me to exactly the same spot independent of the handset.

Louise

5 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I reckon the best way to getting to the same spot/target is to use platesolving. :) I can't visually see any targets from where I am so rely on platesolving most of the time. Once aligned, my Nextstar+ handset is pretty good at slewing to a target but platesolving gets me to exactly the same spot independent of the handset.

Louise

Framing and mosac in sgp is very good as long as you got a internet . 30 days ago it was £30 for the add-on today £32:hmh:

1 minute ago, Starlight 1 said:

Framing and mosac in sgp is very good as long as you got a internet . 30 days ago it was £30 for the add-on today £32:hmh:

Astrotortilla is free and standalone. Needs downloading - plus index files - and works with ascom stuff. Not sure how compatible it is with sgp though...

That's a very nice image you managed to pull out of your data. There should actually be blue surrounding the stars. The cluster that makes up M45 is embedded in a reflection nebula. This nebula reflects the light from the young stars, which is mainly blue. On the other hand, the even background should be a neutral dark. You should be able to do colour adjustments in GIMP to correct this, similar to changing white balance. A trick that also works is to create an empty layer then fill this with the colour filler. Choose a colour with the eyedropper tool from the foreground. Then set blend mode to subtract. This will give you a black background, but by carefull adjustments of the evenly coloured layer, you should be able to come up with a pleasing neutral background.

Cheers,

Archived