NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Patrick Moore's Yearbook finished

spaceman_spiff

I'm sorry to read this. I must say I haven't bought one for years, maybe even decades.  I think I've got most of my info about what's coming up from sites like this one, magazines like Astronomy Now and Sky at Night. The British Astronomical Association provides members with a yearly hand book and various other means of finding out what's in store in the sky. 

That's a shame: it has become a bit of a tradition for my son to buy me a copy each year for Christmas, and I have them going back to 2000. I always found that it was a very pleasant reference book and it usually sits on my bedside table all year.

I thought it would go on being produced but I assume that with so many sources of information these days, its potential audience must be dwindling.

I shall miss it 

I've had a few, and respect the tradition ellement. But, maybe these annuals have had their day??

I have more articals and Astro info at my finger tips on my tablet than could have been imagined 20 years ago. Together with the many  Internet forum ........ We are very lucky.

That said, one look at my bookshelves will confirm that logic and the actuality rarely match.

Paul

I`ve noticed that there is the 2017 Guide to the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop and Wil Tirion. Also Astronomy Now magazine do their Year book and Paul Money does a neat little guide of events every month in his Night Scenes book. The BAA sell their hand book from their web site so you won`t need to be a member although it is mainly facts and figures without any articles.  I can`t think of a publication that can match the mix of monthly information and articles that was in Patrick Moore`s yearbook. I generally look forward to reading the night sky guide in Astronomy Now magazine every month along with the observing guides that feature a different constellation.

For anyone with a basic knowledge of French (or Flemish :icon_biggrin:)  who needs facts and figures, the Annuaire (year book) of the Royal Belgian Observatory is very useful. Attractive printed copy for 13 euros (16 including postage), or download in PDF for free!

http://www.astro.oma.be/fr/informations/annuaire/

Would have thought Springer publishers would spring into the breach to replace the Patrick Moore Yearbook - but, as commented, there's so much material now on the Internet, perhaps it's just not viable.

On 11/19/2016 at 13:12, Phil Fargaze said:

I can`t think of a publication that can match the mix of monthly information and articles that was in Patrick Moore`s yearbook. 

Well, there's BBC Sky at Night Magazines Yearbook. You know, the magazine of the TV show 'The Sky at Night'. Patrick Moore's TV show. Its been out every year since 2014.

12 minutes ago, Bubble and Squeak said:

Well, there's BBC Sky at Night Magazines Yearbook. You know, the magazine of the TV show 'The Sky at Night'. Patrick Moore's TV show. Its been out every year since 2014.

The sky at night book is probably the one I'll get

Archived