Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Free download - Astronomy book

https://openstax.org/details/astronomy

Found a link to this book yesterday on Reddit.  I downloaded it last night and had a look this morning .   First impressions are that, although it is a weighty tome at over 1,000 pages, from the first few pages it appears to be written in layman's terms that even I can understand.  Hopefully that continues throughout the book even as it begins discussing more complex issues, although I'm sure that will be the case as it was written specifically with students in mind.

Apologies if I have either posted this in the wrong section , or duplicated someone else's posting of the link - I wasn't sure of the best place for something like this to be posted..

Hope it's useful to someone ?

I've read the whole of the first chapter now and I have to say, I'm enjoying this immensely .   Very informative and well written, with beautiful pictures and illustrations.   Most importantly, it is written in a way that is very easy to understand even to the point of them using every day analogies to get across some points, that can be difficult for the average person to get their head around.

Chapter 2 looks to be really interesting!

• 5 months later...

Well, it took almost exactly five months, but I finished it last night. I must say I really enjoyed it. It was pitched at exactly the right level for someone like me. I wanted to know how distance, mass and temperature can be calculated for stars and what happens inside them to make them shine, and it gave me a better understanding without  going right over a layman's head. I also have a better understanding of the early universe and also the issues around dark matter -just don't test me on it.

At my age, I'm of the opinion that it's great to get a better understanding of things even if I'll have forgotten it by tomorrow.

If you are like me- a non scientist with an interest in science who would be likely to start 'a brief history of time' but not finish it, I would definitely recommend it. (I even know what a neutrino is now)

1 hour ago, domstar said:

Well, it took almost exactly five months, but I finished it last night. I must say I really enjoyed it. It was pitched at exactly the right level for someone like me. I wanted to know how distance, mass and temperature can be calculated for stars and what happens inside them to make them shine, and it gave me a better understanding without  going right over a layman's head. I also have a better understanding of the early universe and also the issues around dark matter -just don't test me on it.

At my age, I'm of the opinion that it's great to get a better understanding of things even if I'll have forgotten it by tomorrow.

If you are like me- a non scientist with an interest in science who would be likely to start 'a brief history of time' but not finish it, I would definitely recommend it. (I even know what a neutrino is now)

Glad you enjoyed it domstar, I'm still trying to get through it as I've had an avalanche of reading material since Christmas with the promise of more to come.

Might just go and read another chapter now :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived