Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Torch - Red LED or Filter

I have a few (my wife would say too many) torches. I assume it would make sense to convert one to be a red night vision torch rather than purchase another.

Having never had one, I am not sure if the general consensus is to have a normal bulb or LED, ie white, and then apply a coloured lens or filter. Or is it best to use a coloured light source and keep the clear lens.

Is there even a difference?

The torch I have in mind is an angled head Wolf ex-Fireman torch that could be modified. So what would you do? Red light source or red filter?

The aim is to make it as dim as possible so it just aids your eyes to see in the dark enough to do what's needed. Whether you use a diy one or a filtered white one or a red led isn't important. The idea is to not spoil your night vision which takes 20mins or so to establish.

I use a regular white head torch and just applied enough layers of the missus red nail varnish to make a very dim red light. Be aware though some red leds can be very bright and counter productive. Hth :)

I use an adjustable beam head torch and use 2-3 layers of Rubylith stuck over the lens.

I find that the red LED's can be really bright and while it's OK for the wearer it can really affect the night vision of those around you.

OK, thanks for the replies.

I can certainly get some red nail varnish and have a go. My Wolf torch is currently fitted with a filament bulb and I was going to make an LED conversion insert (saves the £35 price they go for) but will try the easier route first.

If I do go down the LED route, I think I have some older red LEDs which tend to be quite dim. The fashion these days for LEDs seems to be increase their brightness more and more.

Just to add, the Wolf torch I have has got a few nice features.

Obviously with it being a fire service torch it is very tough. The bezel around the lens is luminescent, so if I drop it in the dark, you can find it. I am sure that it's very low glow is not enough to affect night vision, but I'll try that out at some point.

It also has a clip on the back so it can hang from shirt or jacket pockets.

And it has a low battery power warning. Something the Fire service needed, so you know you have sufficient charge in the batteries. A handy little feature.

23 hours ago, Peco4321 said:

I just use the wrapping from babybell cheese. 1 layer seems to be ok but you can double up for darker. 

That's probably the best use for Babybell that I can think of.

Red electrical tape works pretty well too. Brown seems to be better for dimming red LEDs though.

Again, don't eat either of these.

Archived