Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10-11-16 The Moon, a mucked up mosaic and a few closeups.

johnfosteruk

And the world's longest post title.

Variable seeing yesterday evening, meaning there's a huge range of quality just between the mosaic panes. For some reason the mosaic hasn't blended at all well either. I couldn't match the levels region around Sinus Iridium with the rest amongst other problems.

Full disk is ok though and a few reasonably decent crops came out of the mosaic.

full disk is 100 frames stacked, normal process. 1/600s ISO 100

mosaic is 13 panes, 2.5x Barlow, 60 frames each at 1/120s ISO 200.

Full disk

Moon 10-11 full disk.png

Mosaic

Moon 10-11mosaic.jpg

Closeup 1

Moon 10-11 clavius.png

Closeup 2

Moon 10-11 closeup 1.png

Closeup 3

Moon 10-11 closeup 2.png

1 hour ago, johnfosteruk said:

Do it, I love imaging the moon, I've had a go at wide field, when funds allow I'll be getting some DSO going all being well but I'll always love Lunar.

At the moment, I'm seeing how much Lunar surface I can capture in a night with my narrow field set up. My first attempt was dashed because of the trees outside my house. Now I have found a better spot with a clear east-south-west horizon. I think I should be able to cover the terminator or a limb in about 1-1.5 hours. Can't wait to go out and have another try!

Dan. :happy7:

7 minutes ago, spaceman_spiff said:

At the moment, I'm seeing how much Lunar surface I can capture in a night with my narrow field set up. My first attempt was dashed because of the trees outside my house. Now I have found a better spot with a clear east-south-west horizon. I think I should be able to cover the terminator or a limb in about 1-1.5 hours. Can't wait to go out and have another try!

Dan. :happy7:

Best of luck with it mate.

Just now, johnfosteruk said:

I use ICE and Autostitch as well but neither of them coped too well with this one. I'm going to have another go though. 

I must say I prefer MS-ICE on lunar data. I sometimes have to filddle a bit with curves (in ImPPG) to match the panes, e.g. if transparency varies. That usually allows matching them up better

Lovely images, I had a go at a mosaic with my 200p on Thursday night but missed a big chunk out of the centre :hmh:.

I use MSIce but have tried autostich which seems to work OK but I can't get it to save anything other than a jpeg? Am I missing something? 

Here's my first attempt at a mosaic! Yes, I know I should crop the frames a bit before merging and I should image the Moon with regular overlapping frames but I got a bit ahead of myself :icon_biggrin:. The frames near on the bottom left side are a bit lighter because of thin cloud.

Now I have an idea of the time I will need to collect the frames for a full mosaic. Given my frame size, I should be able to cover the Moon in about 62 shots. I try to take 4 mins of video per frame so that is just over 4 hours of imaging. Compared to imaging DSOs, that's not bad at all!

Details of Image:

Taken on 12/11/2016 with SW Skymax 150 at prime focus, Canon 550D movie crop mode, Each frame is 4 mins 640x480 (9'30''x7') (drizzled 2x) taken at 60fps, Processed using Pipp then Registax. The Mosaic was done in Gimp.

Dan

Lunar_mosaic2.png

Archived