Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing plans shelved

Floater

Yesterday everything for here said "Cloud". The sky was clear blue from 8:00am then it got dark around 17:00 but still clear and eventually some cloud appeared at 21:00, that went by 21:30. But the weather said Cloud. It said Cloud when all you had to do was look out a convenient window.

Today the BBC weather presenter at about 8:30 was explaining that they could not be totally sure/correct of the weather over the UK. Then he moved on to the weekend weather. Since today was Thursday he had to be talking about the weather on Friday. So it seems that supercomputer or not they are not sure what tomorrow may bring.

I tend to read a few, then make a decision based on what it all looks like. Windows are good.

I use the weather forecasts as a possible indicator of likely clear skies, or not.  I make decisions on whether or not to set up rather more on my own weather forcasts based on satellite pictures showing how the weather has been trending over recent hours and how it is likely to develop over the next few hours.  The satellite pictures from the MET office site are good for this although other sites are available. 

Yes, all. Agreed. It was just a flippant remark about the Clear Outside forecast. I don't allow it to depress me.

As per the line in Good Morning Vietnam, 'If you want to know what the weather's like, open a window!'

Clear Skies.

I noticed this morning that Carol on the BBC was saying that there was a change to earlier forecasts - something about a band of rain below a line from Bournmouth to Norwich now being additiional. So the weather is being sort of forecast then changed on the fly.

It is at times like this that I think asking Lucie Green if we can predict solar weatehr better then UK weather is a relevant comparison.

On the UK weather aspect I find that dragging up the old style pressure charts is usually a fair idea, you just have to learn the characteristics of the various warm, cold and other fronts that accompany them.

18 hours ago, iapa said:

I check BBC weather, then Met Office...

then, more reliably -  gut feel by observation using eyeball MK1 x 2 (assisted)

At the moment BBC and MO weather are one and the same source of info...

When I see the "Clear Outside Full House"(all red) I do feel vindicated in holding my uncharitable opinions of the Great British Climate.

Flo might want to rethink the wildly over optimistic name for their excellent weather app.

Chin up all.

Paul

You can guarantee that in the South West at least for the next 2 weeks there will be nothing but red on clear outside with mk 1x2 eyeballs corroborating this grim outlook as I'm on leave for 2 weeks, with lots of observing planned therefore the ole weather stone will be a good mix of wet, white on top, swinging and gone but never steady, still and dry (see below if you just landed and have no idea which I'm assuming has to be unlikely). To compound this I have new acquisitions on the horizon which makes it even worse.

Given Gordon's forecast north of the wall and my predictions for my southern corner I'd say it's also likely that everywhere in between is scuppered too - find an indoor project folks.

weather-stone.jpg

Archived