Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with Lunt50mm single stack

Hello!

So after a long wait I finally received my Lunt50mm f/7 dedicated H-alpha scope. It is my first solar scope and I had never seen through any such telescope before. 

Initially I was confused between Daystar Quark, Lunt60mm pressure tuner and lunt50mm. But price for Lunt60mm with dollar/rupee difference and import taxes made me go yikes! Also, reading many reviews about Quark's inconsistency in quality, I chose to go for 50mm scope. Here are the details of the gear-

Lunt 50mm f/7 single stack with pressure tuner.

B600 blocking filter

Helical Focuser

Skywatcher az3 mount.

I got the scope via C-sky Scientifics Ltd. , mumbai. It arrived in last week of October.

Tube arrived nicely packed in the box covered in foam without any damage.  Although, the first thing I had in my mind while unpacking was how heavy it is for its small size!  It is quite compact and professional looking, weighing something around 2.2-2.5 kgs with eyepiece. Attaching it on az3 mount and 25mm plossl eyepiece was not difficult and in 5 minutes I was out looking at the sun.

At first , it was embarrassing because I couldn't get the sun! (No experience in it)  Now finally I am getting hang of it using the shadow of the tube on the ground. Once the shadow is at its smallest, I know I am almost there. Little bit here and there and I am looking at a small red ball in the eyepiece. Put 10mm plossl eyepiece, adjust the focused as per the edge of the disk and I am looking at the red coloured sun. Time for the pressure tuner.

It does take a little practice for the pressure tuner but it's easy. I finally got it after an hour of the observation session.  It is quite precise adjustment so it needs to be turned carefully. (Also, if the turning movement gets too easy without much resistence, be careful or it can just come out and drop...can't take the risk) While tuning , you know you are nearby when the initial deep red-pink colour of the sun faints and it looks more yellow. Prominances at the edge pop out first and with one or two more turns of the tuner ,filaments pop  out. It is more like a focuser with a lot of resistance so once the details start diminishing, you have gone too far.

There is an area in the FOV slightly off centre towards left hand side where the image is perfect with all of the possible details (I guess that's what called as sweet spot) It feels weird at first but not much of a problem. The sun, even at its minimum activity does put a nice show. First time I spotted around 7 prominances and 4 filaments. Today, there were many more prominances (although much of those vanished within minutes) 3-4 filaments and an active region. The best explanation I can come up with is that sun looks like a kid tried to peel off an orange but with just 3-4 cuts he left it. 

Overall I am impressed with the performance and I am happy with it. Although the first reaction my parents gave was "so much of money for such a small scope!!!" The only comeback I had was to show them the sun.

This scope will be used for public observation and purely visual purpose. Apparently, here, almost no one has any experience with h-aIpha observation so I have to do a lot of explaining before letting people see through it. I guess H-alpha observation is slightly different than the night sky observation (in terms of the use and ease of the instrument) so we should keep that in mind before getting into the field. This weekend, I have an overnight sky observation so I will have a better chance to see how general public reacts to this.

I was pretty unproductive because I spent my nights looking through my scope and days dreaming about looking though scope at nights. Now I have got this new addiction. I don't know what will happen to me now. xD

Few photos of the scope. More will be uploaded after the public session.

Clear skies!

IMG_20161102_200905.jpg

IMG_20161103_174557.jpg

IMG_20161102_192442.jpg

An excellent 1st light report. Sounds like you are enjoying your new scope. I love having a solar scope,  it keeps the interest going night and day, summer and winter.

The solar cycle is entering a quiter period,  but your scope will last you for years through many cycle's. 

?? Lovely scope. Not cheap, but well worth the money. 

Ha is definitely a case of "the more you look. The more you see" ! You will be amazed at the dynamic nature of Ha.

Well worth reading up on what you are seeing.

Paul

Archived