Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wait for ages for one Barlow to arrive.......

Knighty2112

........., and two come along at the same time! ;) 

Arrived back home after been away for work all week to find that finally  my new Televue 2.5 x Power Mate had at last arrived (ordered way back in early August from Orion Optics), along with a second hand Altair Astro 3x Barlow I bought off a member on here (thanks Paul! :) ) . So now I just need some clear skies to test both these new additions to my Astro kit out. Not looking good for tonight over here, but hoping at some point over the weekend, or at worst early part of next week to give them some first light.

Be interesting to note any real difference between the two barlows, other than the magnification of course, with the Televue costing considerably times more than the Altair Astro 3 x Barlow!

IMG_1808.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG

The Powermate is superb, and well worth the spondoolies, if you ask me. The first TV eyepiece I ever acquired was the 3x Barlow. I was so impressed with its performance and overall build quality I started to buy more TV EP's. I didn't mind the expense, after a while you get used to living on cat food ROTFLMAO!

TV Powermate and Barlows.jpg

Have superb optical fun!

Powermates are the best telextenders that I've ever used.

When you are comparing them try and find targets that push the gear towards the limits if you can. It's there that the top stuff earns it's keep I've found :icon_biggrin:

8 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

The Powermate is superb, and well worth the spondoolies, if you ask me. The first TV eyepiece I ever acquired was the 3x Barlow. I was so impressed with its performance and overall build quality I started to buy more TV EP's. I didn't mind the expense, after a while you get used to living on cat food ROTFLMAO!

TV Powermate and Barlows.jpg

Have superb optical fun!

Lol! I'll have to start eyeing up my dogs biscuits & food then! ;) 

I'm hoping it's well worth the wait and the money, although I did get it for a good price from Orion Optics. :) 

7 hours ago, John said:

Powermates are the best telextenders that I've ever used.

When you are comparing them try and find targets that push the gear towards the limits if you can. It's there that the top stuff earns it's keep I've found :icon_biggrin:

Thanks John. I'll give the Power Mate a good work out to compare it with the other one. :) 

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Mak the Night collects Barlows like I collect filters! We're both certifiable. When he says the PowerMate 2.5X is great - I'm absolutely certain you'll love it too! Of course, I also have one - and they really are the best one could hope for!

You'll love it!

Enjoy,

Dave

Thanks Dave. Look forward to getting the straight jacket and certificate for madness later on then! Hehe! ;) 

8 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

I'm hoping it's well worth the wait and the money, although I did get it for a good price from Orion Optics. :) 

I often use the Powermate and an 8mm TV Plossl for 281.25x on the Moon (130mm Newtonian). On a good night the image is crystal clear. In the summer I accidentally picked up the TV 3x Barlow instead of the Powermate and observed the Moon for at least fifteen minutes at 337.5x (approx 66x per inch of aperture). The image was surprisingly sharp and detailed but a little darker than usual. In very good or exceptional conditions I use this combination now. That's how good these Barlows/amplifiers are.

Dog biscuits ... now, there's an idea ...

15 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

I often use the Powermate and an 8mm TV Plossl for 281.25x on the Moon (130mm Newtonian). On a good night the image is crystal clear. In the summer I accidentally picked up the TV 3x Barlow instead of the Powermate and observed the Moon for at least fifteen minutes at 337.5x (approx 66x per inch of aperture). The image was surprisingly sharp and detailed but a little darker than usual. In very good or exceptional conditions I use this combination now. That's how good these Barlows/amplifiers are.

Dog biscuits ... now, there's an idea ...

My some deity! Considering your locale & weather, that's truly impreesive! Now I'm wondering what I can push mine up to, considering I'm at 44.28N and relatively temperate climate.

Between your Barlows and my filters, dog-biscuits might be just the thing for those who are 'barking-mad.' Pass 'em over this way, please?

Dave

19 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

My some deity! Considering your locale & weather, that's truly impreesive! Now I'm wondering what I can push mine up to, considering I'm at 44.28N and relatively temperate climate.

Between your Barlows and my filters, dog-biscuits might be just the thing for those who are 'barking-mad.' Pass 'em over this way, please?

Dave

I live on the edge of the greenbelt 152 metres above sea level. Although the jet-stream hasn't done much for the overall seeing the past couple of years, in only above average conditions 281 - 300x is fairly easy on the Moon. I've had a pretty sharp 250x on Jupiter a few times this year too. It's fairly dark where I observe from. I don't live anywhere Barking, of course lol.

2 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Powermates are the bees knees IMO. Worth every penny.

Peter

Got out with my scope for a few hour shift last night. Sadly, with it been a full moon I couldn't really get to use my new barlows due to the light of the moon, but did use it on the moon itself which looked good, but with no real terminator to look at couldn't judge it well.

On 10/14/2016 at 22:43, Knighty2112 said:

Generally, my dog eats better than I do. :grommit:

Archived