NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

130pds heq5 pro synscan vs 150 pds eq5 pro synscan

I am thinking about a future setup capable of doing both astrophotography and visual. Right now i have a Bresser Pollux 150/1400. It is a bird-jones telescope which means i can't do prime focus photography. I can see the orion nebula and ring nebula with it even in fairly light polluted areas (about a 5-6 in stellarium).

The two scopes i have thought might being the future scope is the following:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-eq-5-pro-goto.html
And the skywatcher explorer 130p-ds with the heq5 pro synscan (which i can't link to).

Am i going to regret that i got the eq5 mount with more aperture instead of the less aperture and the heq5?
Is the 130p-ds going to give me the same views of DSO's as the scope i have now? (because it doesn't have the "corrector" lens in the focuser)
would i be able to use the 130p-ds for planetary views and imaging, or would it be impossible? (btw, i have a 2.5x barlow and a 6mm planetary ocular)

Sorry for any misspellings (i am 14 years old and live in Denmark) but i hope that you can help me out by telling me your opinion:rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Bossen said:

Am i going to regret that i got the eq5 mount with more aperture instead of the less aperture and the heq5?

From personal experience - yes. I have an EQ5 (at the time I had no real interest in imaging) and do a bit of very casual AP. I've yet to be able to adjust the EQ5 such that I can get the axes to move smoothly without loosening it off enough to get significant backlash (not enough to matter at all for visual use, or much for short exposure AP, but enough to make it not worth getting the ST4 upgrade for guiding). When properly aligned I can use a Baader reticule eyepiece to judge how stable the scope is. I have never measured periodic error through the full rotation, but over a period of about 1-2 minutes a star will typically wander across about 20 arc seconds (though it's very erratic).

In terms of photos, I'm typically able to get the following:

• 300mm lens - keep about 75% of subs at 45 seconds; rest have too much P.E.
  • 600mm lens - keep about 35% of subs at 45 seconds.

In terms of weight, the EQ5 will cope fine with the 150pds, but with that focal length you'll be limited to short subs with lots going straight in the bin. 130pds would be a beter bet with an EQ5, but if you can afford the HEQ5 (I'm seriously consiering it) then go for it.

Others seem to have done much better with the EQ5 than I have, and the quality seems to be quite variable, but from my experience the HEQ5 is a much better bet and is less likely leaving you wanting an upgrade. Hope this helps.

Billy.

If you have any thoughts at all about imaging then the HEQ5 is about the lowest level mount you should consider for reliability. People will say they have been able to image with the EQ5, but only after much work on it, and they are often experienced imagers.

The 130P-DS is also very well regarded as a budget 'scope for imaging. I'm not sure about planetary with it as the focal length is a bit short, still, you could try using the 2.5x Barlow and a webcam, or even simply photographing from the eyepiece. You should also budget for a coma-corrector, the Baader MPCC being the best budget one.

If your English is up to it (And your post suggests it is) then this book https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html is well worth reading.

2 minutes ago, DaveS said:

If your English is up to it (And your post suggests it is) then this book https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html is well worth reading.

Thank you for your help! I have actually tried to find a place where i can buy it and get it shipped to Denmark but not even First light optics can ship it to Denmark.

13 minutes ago, Bossen said:

Thank you for your help! I have actually tried to find a place where i can buy it and get it shipped to Denmark but not even First light optics can ship it to Denmark.

Don't know if this is any help.

Dave

OVL Denmark.PNG

Archived