NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Melotte 15 - The middle of the Heart nebula

swag72

This is old data - Probably about 18 months old and kit wise I have made a couple of changes to the gear used here. But something about this image has always eluded me and I've made the biggest messes of processing that you can imagine and ended up with images that have made me cringe. Thanks to seeing a great rendition from Mick ( @Komet ) the other day here I thought that perhaps it was time to try another far more sympathetic version as I really did like what Mick had done.... in my opinion one of the best I'd seen.

So with my own take on it and also a bi-colour version this is my offering on the latest processed version of Melotte 15. I think this can go to bed for a little while at least. I welcome all comments and thoughts especially as this has been through so many renditions in it's life :D 

Details
M: Avalon Linear fast reverse
T: AT 8" RC CF
C: QSI690-wsg with 3nm Ha and OIII filters

17x1800s Ha
9x1800s OIII

You can see a larger version here 

Mel15 SGL.jpg

I think I can remember seeing one earlier version you posted of this target Sara and if my memory serves me well this is IMO much improved. The noise is much more controlled here and I really love the colour balance you have achieved. Maybe a little green to the lower right corner but certainly stacks of detail for an 8" scope. I would say you have definitely done justice to this reprocessed data. It's a very fine image indeed!!

Pete

Nice processing Sara - the noise (or lack of) as mentioned is very well managed the detail is great as well.  Trademark Swag colours so no issues there.

Not a critique but wondered is a little more contrast would show the detail right in the core even more - super work, keep them coming not nearly enough seen :) 

Paddy 

The Stairway To Heaven Nebula - I love this object and your image does it proud! Perhaps it suffers from a slight softness, but I think that is a limitation of the system, not the processing. The colours are very striking, as Paddy says, the trademark Swag Palette! 

12 hours ago, theo said:

I think I can remember seeing one earlier version you posted of this target Sara and if my memory serves me well this is IMO much improved. The noise is much more controlled here and I really love the colour balance you have achieved. Maybe a little green to the lower right corner but certainly stacks of detail for an 8" scope. I would say you have definitely done justice to this reprocessed data. It's a very fine image indeed!!

Pete

Thanks Pete - The one that you are thinking of that I posted before (last year I think) was a bit of a horror in comparison - It was massively overcooked ..... :)

11 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice processing Sara - the noise (or lack of) as mentioned is very well managed the detail is great as well.  Trademark Swag colours so no issues there.

Not a critique but wondered is a little more contrast would show the detail right in the core even more - super work, keep them coming not nearly enough seen :) 

Paddy 

Cheers Paddy - Based on a previous process I was very careful not to overdo the contrast...... Perhaps there is more there, but it's getting dangerously close to too much I think :)

8 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

The Stairway To Heaven Nebula - I love this object and your image does it proud! Perhaps it suffers from a slight softness, but I think that is a limitation of the system, not the processing. The colours are very striking, as Paddy says, the trademark Swag Palette! 

Thanks Gav - I agree about a slight softness - as you say, probably a system thing more than anything else. Perhaps there's the right scope out there to do this justice :)

Thanks to Rodd and Andy for the comments - Glad that you like it :)

I hope you didn't think I was being flippant Sara.  I know - well actually I don't know but can imagine - the skill, artistry and effort that goes into these images you produce.   You are one of the people who got me in to this business.  My comment was meant as a humourous salutation and an acknowledgement of the considrable distance I have yet to travel!   But you knew that, didn't you?  :binkybaby:

This is a very accomplished image Sara and I hope that you are pleased with the reprocess.  Komet's image has the adavantage of the SII which brings the smokey quality to the HST palette and I agree with your assessment that it is a very fine example.

I also believe your Mel 15 is one of the finest bi-colour versions I've seen: great detail within the structure without having to resort to excessive contrast.  Super image.

15 hours ago, swag72 said:

Cheers Paddy - Based on a previous process I was very careful not to overdo the contrast...... Perhaps there is more there, but it's getting dangerously close to too much I think :)

Truth is in the data - if it says no then enough is enough. (Trouble is you heed that advice and i forget it far too often!)

Archived