Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Soldering stations

Dave_D

I have to do some SMD stuff soon, taking of the screens of ESP8266 devices and upgrading the memory to 4Gb so I took the plunge and ordered one of these and try to fix a 60 neopixel ring that has broken neopixel(s) in one of the segments :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldering-Iron-Station-Rework-Welder/dp/B015RQHRT8/ref=sr_1_2?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1473616916&sr=8-2&keywords=hot+air+rework+station

It has 5 stars but only from 5 people so I hope it's okay :)

I also forgot a software defined radio kit that has SMD devices. I've been putting that off for ages because I didn't feel I could do a good job with a soldering iron. I made the Gertboard for the original Raspberry pi and it was a bit iffy :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I have really enjoyed using the kit I bought. I've done quite a bit of experimenting with SMD soldering and I'm getting better at it :) I've also managed to replace 2 duff neopixels in my 60 neopixel ring and got it working nicely.

I wish I bought it rather than the Hako 888FX now, I've been disappointed with that.

I've always found 25W too small except for the odd joint. I run at least 50W temperature controlled.

I loved my old, long dead Adcola 101 ... the tips got severe abuse but lasted forever. 

Ergonomically I find Antex preferable to Weller which always feel too big to me (although I have big hands) but tips don't last like they used to ...

AndyG

After decades using small irons, it was a revelation to get a TCS which is 50W but temperature controlled, great to get atht rapid heat up but still not scorch small components.

A hot air reflow gun is brilliant if you want to do things like swap SMT resistors! (combined with short sight and tweezers).

Neil

after finding out how much a 60mm x 50mm double sided pcb will cost to have made, i may just give the whole damn thing up and take up something comparatively cheap... like collecting super cars. £70 goddamn quid for a 60mm x 50mm pcb?

i'm finding it VERY difficult not to swear profusely...

16 minutes ago, Dave_D said:

after finding out how much a 60mm x 50mm double sided pcb will cost to have made, i may just give the whole damn thing up and take up something comparatively cheap... like collecting super cars. £70 goddamn quid for a 60mm x 50mm pcb?

i'm finding it VERY difficult not to swear profusely...

What just the board?  Or assembled and tested?  

OSHpark is well respected, good quality, made in US with free shipping 3pcs 60x50mm for $70, I know a couple of places in China which will make boards much cheaper than that, PCBway will do 10pcs for like $10 each DHL'd for free - but you do get what you pay for.

8 minutes ago, John78 said:

What just the board?  Or assembled and tested?  

OSHpark is well respected, good quality, made in US with free shipping, I know a couple of places in China which will make boards much cheaper than that, PCBway will do 10pcs for like $10 each DHL'd for free - but you do get what you pay for.

yeah, just the board...

i'll look into that... was preferring to keep things 'home grown' but after seeing roughly the same price asked by 3 UK places, it's no wonder this place is called rip-off britain :hmh:

just noticed they're ex VAT too

16 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I make my own PCBs, I find it as rewarding as the other aspects of the project.

yeah i used to make my own years ago when i was (briefly) into amateur radio. the stuff i'm working on now is double sided which is why i was looking at having the pcb made, but after just finding this little gem on youtube, i may not need to bother taking the expensive route :D

his method is so simple i actually facepalmed myself.

I've never managed to make the toner transfer method work properly and I design photocopiers for a living... lol.

Photoresist boards works fine using exactly his process though - but China is cheaper delivered fabricated boards than buying photosensitive boards from the UK :(

Archived