Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3.09.2016 1st images for nearly 2 weeks!

Pete Presland

For one reason or another, mostly work :happy7: these are my first images for nearly two weeks!

The seeing was pretty "ropey" at 6:30am yesterday, I headed to the winter Solar imaging spot due to the early start.

Certainly not the best set of images I have ever produced, but it was nice to get a look before I went out for the day. Fortunately that was the best time of the day anyway, even if the seeing was pretty poor.

The white light is with the ED80/ND5 filter, DMK21au618 + no58 green filter. The H/A images are with the Lunt50mm D/S and the same camera.

2016.09.03 AR2585  white light.png2016.09.03 AR2585.png2016.09.03 AR2585 & large filament.png2016.09.03 2 pane mosaic.png

Great to see you out catching some Vitamin D again Pete ... :happy7:

Seeing was dire just about everywhere yesterday it would seem , was a little better out there just now on first impressions , will found out in a minute when I look through my subs ... :happy8:

The D/S is a tricky decision,  due particularly to because of the cost. Visually it does not really feel worth the investment. Imaging wise though it makes a massive difference, but only the individual can decide whether that difference is worth the investment. 

Nice set Pete.

I agree with your comments about a double stack.  It took me a fair while to find the right settings for my Lunt 60 with a DS and it reduced the sweet spot in the process.  Once found I fixed my DS in place with a clamp and it has never been moved since.

Tuning can still be a bit of a game on some days.

Robin

1 hour ago, bunnygod1 said:

The D/S is a tricky decision,  due particularly to because of the cost. Visually it does not really feel worth the investment. Imaging wise though it makes a massive difference, but only the individual can decide whether that difference is worth the investment. 

Very fine images Pete, great to have you back in the groove. 

With my (60) DS the experience I had sounds rather different to yours.  The first time I tuned my DS system (on the day I met up with the seller of the 60mm scope to see how it worked with the 60mm etalon I already had) it was a real wow moment, the difference was very dramatic.  The contrast went up by several factors and the filaments virtually all turned inky black, a very dramatic improvement.  Like Robin, I rarely take off the front etalon now as my system is all locked down as well and I have it virtually permanently tuned.  However, in the past when I used to sometimes take off the front etalon to check the tuning of the whole system the single scope without the front etalon in place looked comparatively very dull indeed.  In fact I made the transition to a DS purely for visual observing.  I only started imaging later when out of curiosity I tried my Olympus camera with the system and it had the ability to turn out satisfactory images from single frames without me having to spend to much time away from visual observing.

Archived