NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heart Nebula HA

Rudeviewer

This is my first data set for the heart nebula in HA. Processed it a bit in Pixinsight and finished it off in Photoshop with some pointers on sharpening. May have overdone it a tad bit but i am pretty pleased with the short amount of data the detail i have been able to coax out of it. I had planned on 5 hours of data but only got 2 hours 40 mins of 20 min subs thanks to incoming clouds. I'll take what i can get lately.

8x20 min subs with dark and bias calib files

1st decent process PI and PS Sharpened.png

Some great data there and processing is not far of the mark.  I would try to be a little more delicate with use of sharpening and noise reduction using some sort of selective masking.  Also not sure what programs in use but a little less contrast boosting will retain the finer detail.  Of course i appreciate limited data is the biggest obstacle but looking promising for next week.

Paddy 

Thanks for the advice Paddy!  I do tend to cook things just a bit trying to bring out the most detail i can.  I also have a few less contrasty versions that i started with.  Sometimes its hard to know when to stop.  I used pixinsight for the histograms transformation and then switched over to photoshop for a high pass filter and some noels actions.  

4 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Some great data there and processing is not far of the mark.  I would try to be a little more delicate with use of sharpening and noise reduction using some sort of selective masking.  Also not sure what programs in use but a little less contrast boosting will retain the finer detail.  Of course i appreciate limited data is the biggest obstacle but looking promising for next week.

Paddy 

Paddy, This is the first version that i did without sharpening or adding brightness or contrast or the high pass filter.  

1st decent process.png

Prefer that straight away - i think the processing can be added but in a more selective manner need some masks (PS masks/PI range selection or clones) that really isolate the areas you want to work on.  Then just try 10-20% of what you did previously.  Better to (in most cases) run a few very fine adjustments than 1 fine-medium one.

I am certainly not one to speak but getting better slowly.  Take the approach you wish to enhance but not change the data.  If the eye spots a big change after a processing step rather than an enhancement then probably gone too far.

Paddy

Paddy is right on the mark--you last image is the best for me--though I feel that the best spot would be some distance between the last one and the over processed one.  At some point a line is crossed.  Of course, with more data, you inch toward that line without having to do much of anything!  

That is a very good point about adding more data instead of trying to push the image too hard and making it unpleasing.  I will try to do this in my images from now on.  I guess always thought the soft look was not the way to go but i guess it seems it is the best way.  Not too overdone.  Thanks for the comment!

Archived