Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two old men and the Moon.

cotterless45

Huge low Moon and a good friend visiting to observe under the milky skies. We kicked off with clusters in Cygnus , Cepheus, Cassiopeia and Lacerta. 
Including IC 1434,NGC 7209 and the "dancing man" of NGC 7243.

Getting some results and following the discoveries of Caroline Herschel, including the "sailboat" of NGC 225 and the fine NGC 7788.

M39 and , NGC 6910 and Piazzi's 61 Cygni giving fine views. Even in Andromeda, the " Blue Snowball" gave colour at x50.

As the Moon began to fall behind trees , we were able to get NGC 7331 in Pegasus. We had a great time comparing an old Japanese 25mm Plossl, a 25mm BST and a 24mm Panoptic. The latter giving the most contrast and sharpness across the whole fov.

We went for triples and binaries in constellations away from the Moon.
In Cassiopeia, iota,6 Cassiopeiae, Σ 3062 and the gem unmissable triple and delicate ψ (Psi)Cassiopeiae.

We got Σ2950 (1.3") in Cepheus and the lovely colourful triple. In the heart of IC 1396, Σ2816,a white star between a green and violet.

Still in Cepheus we were delighted with Alfirk , Kurhah (Xi) and the blue companion to omicron.We found the Garnet Star here , looking through binoculars to the 150 frac for superb colour.
Σ320 is very pleasing giving the great difference in magnitude here. The 4.7" split catching the +5.7 orange primary and the most delicate blue +9.1 blue companion. That's some sight !

We got a clean split of 1.1" on 36 Andromedae, this is a great tester,

ref. Sky Safari,

"36 Andromedae

This close binary is a test for large amateur telescopes, its components varying in separation from 1.4" to only 0.6" in a 165 year period. The primary is a subgiant several times more luminous than the Sun. The companion is probably similar in spectral type because it has the same color - a lovely, brilliant yellow. Because this system is around 390 light years away, the 0.6" minimum separation corresponds to the distance between the Sun and Pluto."

We tried various combos , including a 7.5 old Ultima x2 Barlowed. Eventually we got it at x240 using a Vixen old school 10mm S.P. In a triplet ed Vixen Barlow . Haas has this as "very difficult".

We went back to Perseus and Cassiopeia, the clusters here getting better views as the Moon hid away. Melotte 20 looked stunning and I pointed out the arc of Kemble's Cascade.

What a lovely relaxed four hours flew by,ending in Kochab coming around to 9am from Polaris and a brief lesson on alignment. 
My good friend was a bit aghast, as he had forgotten about checking for the Moon, but we made the most of clear and super seeing skies. I think he's now hooked on binaries !
Clear skies !
Nick.

Sure you weren't looking at a rainbow?...so many colours!!!...I'm struggling here with a Lambretta exhaust,plus the fact that I can't remember where I've put my Telementor?!!!...clear skies Nick

3 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

What a lovely relaxed four hours flew by,ending in Kochab coming around to 9am from Polaris and a brief lesson on alignment. 
My good friend was a bit aghast, as he had forgotten about checking for the Moon, but we made the most of clear and super seeing skies. I think he's now hooked on binaries !
Clear skies !
Nick.

Great night up the Swad with my old friend (very) 

Yes the report is spot on and let me tell you all that our Nick rarely takes notes! I did forget the moon as I was so delighted to see a clear sky predicted that I just went for it.  

One of the great things about this hobby is that you can make great friends. I remember turning up at the first Peak Star Party and this guy (Nick) came over before I had unpacked the car encouraging me to look through a rather tasty solar scope set up to the pitch next to him. Since then Nick has been an inspiration to me and very generous with his knowledge. Last night was the refresher I needed to get me back on track, great fun!

Nicks covered the observing report nicely... splitting those doubles was at times challenging but with a bit of patience and with the odd bit of averted vision you can achieve great things ?

I'm looking forward to getting out there again asap I'm going to fly the 150 frac on the AVX and split some doubles for sure....

Great report as ever Nick, your dedication puts us to shame.

I managed to drag the scope out last night, hoping for a decent session but I too had forgotten about the moon! I ended up having a nice lunar session with a bonus Saturn and a wobbly Mars thrown in.

Must set the GOTO up and have a trawl round these doubles!

Fly in the face of the full moon, I say!  You've proven that a strong moon doesn't hide all of those great targets out there.  Great report and great friends, greatly enjoyed.

Last night I aimed for the Wild Duck M11 and wasn't disappointed even though the moon was about 15 degrees away.  That and the M57 nebula, where it looks like someone left the lights on inside were inspiring. 

lovely report Nick as always, must try and get myself outside more but I am so tired after a dam hard day on the barn roof, it's massive and still so hot. We have had 38 out of 39 nights now and I have only been at the scope for about a third of that, for which you would no doubt have me put down.

Must try that triple with white green and violet, imagine being on a planet in the midst oif that system, Raybans would be a must have item.

alan.

Archived