Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Long focus mirror

Phar2wild

Not sure where you re but Galvoptics used to produce mirrors. The catch is that they no longer advertise any. They altered their website and updated it over the last 6 months and the current one has no completed astro mirror's on it.

They may still do them, they may have some sort of lying around. Difficult to say.

This is their present web site, the old one has gone:  http://www.galvoptics.co.uk/

Try a phone call or email. Will say that even when they made mirrors actually finding them on their web site was not easy, they never appeared where you would expect.

If memory serves me right I think that Oldham Optics make or made mirrors. For Oldham Optics this looks like the most relevant page - see Note 3 at the bottom of the prices concerning smaller mirrors: http://www.oldhamoptical.com/#!price-list/cr8f

After these two I know of none and you may have to look at the US for mirrors, I am not aware of any in mainland Europe, although I would expect there to be a few. It is after all a fairly big place.

One option if f/12 were not essential is a used item from an "old" Skywtcher 6" dobsonian, they are parabolic. Not sure is Astroboot have a 6" spherical. Usually they are about 4" however.: http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot

13 hours ago, Phar2wild said:

Hi, new here so don't know if this is right place for this question.

Can anyone suggest where to obtain a long focus 6" spherical mirror f12 ( minimum f10 ) preferred?

Thanks,

Robert H

, Hi Robert. why don't you make your own mirror. just one bit of advice you should know is very long focus mirrors are easier to make physically but when it comes to figuring  the mirror to create a parabolic curve the shadows are much more difficult to see l would suggest  you first make an f8 this would give you a much better insight into what's required. I'll  coach you while you make it .very rewarding look into the finished mirror my last mirror  is a 12 " f9 newtonian .regards Tom 

14 hours ago, Phar2wild said:

Hi, new here so don't know if this is right place for this question.

Can anyone suggest where to obtain a long focus 6" spherical mirror f12 ( minimum f10 ) preferred?

Thanks,

Robert H

Does it have to be spherical? Orion Optics will do a 6" f11, and would probably do one to whichever spec you like.

www.orionoptics.co.uk

I'm still new here and I assume I'm replying to all of you.

Sincere thanks for your kind replies and the time you have all taken to reply.

My main purpose is to pick up a cheap mirror ( therefore spherical ) and make up a very cheap scope

to throw in the back of my vehicle and not to worry to much if it gets dinged up. I currently have a 12.5" f/6

and its just a little too big and heavy. Another reason is to possible get two and make a binocular scope.

Tom: Making my own mirror is just a bit too scary!

And did I mention its just for the absolute fun and experience!

Again, thank you all.

Robert Hall

Archived