NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

August 1st - H Alpha

paulastro

Up early and managed to get some early sun, 6.22 am - 6.34 am.  I managed to make the sun rise earlier by putting the tripod to it's maximum extent and standing on a stool to look into the viewfinder!  Single frame taken with Lunt 60 DS, Olympus E-M10, 500 asa, 1/80 sec, 6.27 am.

P8010194a.jpg

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Well caught Paul, if you look on Sat24 you will see the north / south divide in the cloud, guess which side i'm on :grin:

Dave

I've only just read your post Dave.  I took a look at Sat24 and there looks to be cloud just about everywhere now, including here.  I've looked out of the window and it's quite right, it is cloudy :smile:.    I've got to my 45th successive solar imaging/observing day today but tomorrow looks like it will be my nemesis.  Cloud and rain just about everywhere, and I haven't the time or petrol money to drive quickly up to Scotland tomorrow.  :grin:.  Being so close it would have been nice to get to 50.  ( was chuffed when I got to 20 so I shouldn't be greedy)  Still glad to have covered from June the 18th to the first day of August!  Still, you never know...........

2 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Nice capture Paul.

After the weekends weather  I can not believe how nice it current is this morning. 

I'm glad you've been surprised by some nice weather Pete - it doesn't happen too often does it!  :biggrin:

21 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice disk Paul. Managed a short WL session this morning, but not much to see.

I'm delighted you've managed some observations this morning.  I was thinking of you when I looked at the weather prospects for tomorrow.  Scotland looks like about the only place to see much sun tomorrow.  If I could afford the petrol  I might have been tempted to nip up to observe to continue my good observing run - 45th today.  50 is tantalisingly close :grin:.

6 hours ago, cshahar said:

Really nice Paul. It looks like that filament is leaving us. Hopefully, last week's spots will make an appearance in a few days!

-Charles

Many thanks Charles.  Perhaps some of the elements of the big filament will reward us with some nice prominences as they reach the W limb  :smile:.

7 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Happy Yorkshire day from an exile

Keep them coming

Many thanks Steve.  I'm an exile too, from the West Midlands!  It looks as if yesterday will have been my last of the run.  Wall to wall dark cloud and mist with little prospect of even a sucker hole.  Still, you never know.  Tomorrow looks more likely :smile:.

7 hours ago, Iainp said:

Great! Ah how I miss my HA. AVX mount still in repair... 

Iain 

Many thanks Iain.  I didn't realise your mount was still in a state of disrepair.  Are you waiting for some more parts?  Hopefully you'll have it repaired soon.

Thanks Paul. Yes,  I took it back to supplier (Widescreen Centre, London) and they agreed there is something seriously wrong...  It turns out I was using a 19v adaptor to power it rather than 12v, so it's possible I blew it up myself :crybaby2:.  (though it worked fine using the 19v for months.) I'm waiting for a repair quote now. In the meantime I've rediscovered lunar imaging with the 10" scope, using the recently purchased proplanet 742 IR pass filter.  It's a real game - changer of a filter, giving steady views even when the moon is almost invisible in a blue sky. Also I'm amusing myself with some deep sky imaging using Nikon DSLR attached to the scope.  Missing the sun though,  and must confess to a certain grim satisfaction that there are no big spots I'm missing (sorry lads :glasses2:

Iain 

4 hours ago, Iainp said:

Thanks Paul. Yes,  I took it back to supplier (Widescreen Centre, London) and they agreed there is something seriously wrong...  It turns out I was using a 19v adaptor to power it rather than 12v, so it's possible I blew it up myself :crybaby2:.  (though it worked fine using the 19v for months.) I'm waiting for a repair quote now. In the meantime I've rediscovered lunar imaging with the 10" scope, using the recently purchased proplanet 742 IR pass filter.  It's a real game - changer of a filter, giving steady views even when the moon is almost invisible in a blue sky. Also I'm amusing myself with some deep sky imaging using Nikon DSLR attached to the scope.  Missing the sun though,  and must confess to a certain grim satisfaction that there are no big spots I'm missing (sorry lads :glasses2:

Iain 

Thanks Iain.  Blimey, I'm surprised it didn't blow before using 19v, not that I'm any sort of expert in these matters :smile:.  It's very interesting what you say about that filter for Lunar, if you're talking about the improvement being for visual observations, I'll be forwarding your post to a friend of mine, he's a visual lunar nut and I'm sure he'd be interested.

3 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots Paul, i nearly miss them with me crying so much because of those darn clouds  :icon_biggrin::crybaby2::BangHead:. thanks  charl.

Many thanks charl.  I know how you're feeling today, there looks to be as close to nil chance of me observing the sun today as is possible.  Still, I'm not complaining - not too much anyway! :smile:

Ex Yorkshireman as well, born and brought up in sunny Scarborough, before the bright lights and an electronics degree at Newcastle Polytechnic lured me away. Exchanged 'happen' for 'howay' and Tetleys for Newcastle Brown.

Robin

9 hours ago, paulastro said:

if you're talking about the improvement being for visual observations,

Hi Paul, unfortunately it's no good for visual! It looks almost completely dark as it (mostly) only lets through the light beyond our visual limits. Here's an image through the scope, sorry I'm going off topic. PS I got the quote for the repair to the mount: £250.  I didn't dare ask if it was my fault or not.... 

Iain 

25th bn.jpg

Archived