Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C11 StarBright XLT

I have been on a bit of a selling spree recently in order to fund one of these. I have missed the high-mag, large aperture views since selling my CPC1100 so decided to get this to sit on my AZ-EQ6. I picked it up today from Rother Valley Optics who put on an upgraded ADM Losmandy dovetail at a very good price :smile:

Here are the obligatory unpacking shots...

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

When it stops raining I will post a picture of it on the mount with one or two little upgrades :grin:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice Derek! Lovely looking scope and will be fab on the AZEQ6. Fingers crossed for some luck with the weather, although you seem to be doing your best to curse us all with cloud ;)

Thanks, guys, and sorry about the weather :rolleyes2:

This is the scope I plan to take to Skye in late August as it will give me a good aperture but is compact enough to fit in the car at the same time as Mrs T and the dog. If I took the VX12 I would have to leave one of them at home :lol:

As for SGL XII, Jules, I think I will be traveling light compared to last time now that the 400P is gone - but I do plan to hire a van this time to make it less of a tight squeeze :wink:

7 minutes ago, DRT said:

Thanks, guys, and sorry about the weather :rolleyes2:

This is the scope I plan to take to Skye in late August as it will give me a good aperture but is compact enough to fit in the car at the same time as Mrs T and the dog. If I took the VX12 I would have to leave one of them at home :lol:

As for SGL XII, Jules, I think I will be traveling light compared to last time now that the 400P is gone - but I do plan to hire a van this time to make it less of a tight squeeze :wink:

It looks like i will be going, but only taking the FG1 6" newt and the TAL rs....oh and the lovely missus

Does anyone know whether or not these large SCT's can be used as spotting scopes with an appropriate erecting prism? There is lots of wildlife off the coast of where we are staying in Skye and having this sort of magnification would be a real bonus :grin:

2 minutes ago, DRT said:

Does anyone know whether or not these large SCT's can be used as spotting scopes with an appropriate erecting prism? There is lots of wildlife off the coast of where we are staying in Skye and having this sort of magnification would be a real bonus :grin:

I'm sure Peter Drew will know definitively Derek but I don't see why not. The image is upright/left right reversed in a standard mirror diagonal isn't it? If so then an erecting prism will work fine. I'm sure you will be spotting seals off the coast of Cornwall from there with the C11 ;) 

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I'm sure Peter Drew will know definitively Derek but I don't see why not. The image is upright/left right reversed in a standard mirror diagonal isn't it? If so then an erecting prism will work fine. I'm sure you will be spotting seals off the coast of Cornwall from there with the C11 ;) 

I thought the same, Stu, but the Celestron product descriptions only seem to reference "spotting scope" up to the C5 and I wasn't sure whether or not it had some sort of special gizmo that the larger models don't have. I suppose the best way to find out for sure is to rig it up and look through it :wink:

Ah! so this is what you've been upto Derek! ;) Difficult to argue with 11"of aperture in small package (relatively speaking).

I've had an Evo8 or  CPC 800 gps on my wish list for some time now but my back yard isn't exactly 'goto friendly', still they look like you could carry the whole thing in one go to clearer horizons! One of those LX200 or LX90's on ENS would be nice at half the price.

Anyway, I digress! Congrats on the C11, did you get the obligatory heated dew shield for it?? 

5 minutes ago, DRT said:

I thought the same, Stu, but the Celestron product descriptions only seem to reference "spotting scope" up to the C5 and I wasn't sure whether or not it had some sort of special gizmo that the larger models don't have. I suppose the best way to find out for sure is to rig it up and look through it :wink:

I think that's only because the C5 is supplied with a 45 degree erecting prism. I've just checked, and an SCT is the same as a refractor in that it natively produces an inverted image. With a standard mirror diagonal it gives an upright but reversed image. With an erecting prism you should be able to use it as a spotting scope.

3 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Congrats on the C11, did you get the obligatory heated dew shield for it?? 

I bought the separate shield and dew band as it worked out at roughly the same price. I was tempted by one of those fancy Astrozap aluminium shields but just couldn't bring myself to swallow the price :eek:

1 minute ago, DRT said:

I bought the separate shield and dew band as it worked out at roughly the same price. I was tempted by one of those fancy Astrozap aluminium shields but just couldn't bring myself to swallow the price :eek:

I don't think I've seen the ali asttrozap ones? I'll have to google it to see the price? how much can they charge for a thin ali tube?

5 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

:eek::eek: what the Dickens! Both my scopes put together only cost 30 quid more than those dew shields for a scope!

But I suppose it is cheap compared to some :evil:

17 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Just Wow! feather touch as well! :)

Yes, that's the FeatherTouch that was on my CPC1100 but it is destined for the VX12 when the mounting block and riser arrive from Starlight Instruments. The ACU-2S (i.e. Baader SteelTrack) that is currently on the VX12 will end up on the C11. I will have mounting blocks for both focusers on each scope so can swap them over if one suits a scope better than the other :smile:

Archived