Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first mono NAN

Astroboy239

Hi all, 

This is a huge and great narrowband target which many great astrophotographers over here photograph. I felt I should try it. A miracle occurred as after 2months of rain I suddenly saw a cloud free sky. I got geared up and got my stuff out. Well enjoy and feel free to comment QSI 683 (borrowed)  the ever popular evostar 80ed, neq6 mount star shoot autoguider, 

60x15mins h alpha 

20x15mins o3, 

Astrodon 3nm filters, pixinsight and photoshop 

Reference images were of these fine photographers 

Ollypenrice

Swag72

Steppenwolf 

AND many more

Thankyou 

LrMobile2607-2016-0948959480770812868.jpeg

The data is looking good, but in my opinion it's been over processed. The contrast has been pushed a little too much. To my eye, if you can see the processing then there's been too much done. A fine first mono though and you should rightly be very pleased with it :)

Imaging with narrowband filters certainly adds to the versatility of available and suitable targets across the whole lunar cycle.  You have framed and focused very well on your chosen target - in itself a great achievement.  Well done.

Like Sara, I think you have pushed your data too far.  It is so tempting to adjust contrast a little, then push high dynamic ranges a touch, darken the blacks to add impact . . . and before you know it you have processed too far.

I would take a breath and reverse a few steps as you have a lovely sweep of Ha in your image and you need to gently shape it into a fine image.

This is a great first step but I agree that the processing has left the image with a little too much contrast. Start with the original Ha data only and gently process the stacked image in small increments to produce a more subtle version as the impression I get from your image displayed here is that you have good data to start with.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your version 2!

That's much better :)

I note that you have Ha and OIII - I'd be interested to know why you presented it as a mono image and not colour? What do you feel that the OIII bought to the table with regards a mono image? It's an interesting idea for sure. Has it been cropped at all?

Version 2 is a fine image, with some accomplished delicate and subtle processing. Version 1 has the "Processed in Pixinsight look" that is often talked about on here and elsewhere. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the colour version.

3 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

A little of the sides have been cropped. I will soon post the color version, I've never processed O3 and Ha data so I'm taking my time. @swag72

Varad 

Are you sure you cropped a little off the side? My references for the equipment you say is used for this image works out that you are presenting a little over 1/4 of the actual field of view? Why is this?

Screenshot 2016-07-27 14.21.08.png

41 minutes ago, Astroboy239 said:

U cropped, color version 

LrMobile2707-2016-0734996935055040426~3.jpeg

How can that be uncropped when I have shown you the fov that an Evostar ED80 & QSI683 gives you on this target, your uncropped image is about 1/4 of the frame for that combination of equipment.

Great looking image Varad. Can you post a picture of your setup, it would be really interesting to see.

How easy do you find it to source kit out there such as the Astrodon filters? Seems like you got them pretty quickly which is great.

To be frank as mentioned above filters and ccd is borrowed, scope and mount is mine. We Both are members of a astronomy club named afa.my scope and mount is at his place right now but yes I can show you my other setup. I usually keep it there as he lives about 2hrs from a dark area while I am 3hrs more away. Here below if my neq6 on my terrace with a 10''f4.3 astrograph belonging to the club

IMG_20160418_215119~2.jpg

Looks good! Must have been a challenge to collect 20 hours of data given the weather you have been having? How many nights work was that?

Out of interest, where does the guide scope attach to the 10" for autoguiding?

Archived