SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

please dont laugh!!

Am afraid that first of all I have to admit that I am one of those that 'want it all for nought' people!

Realisticly I am basicly wanting to know level of image I could get from my phone.

I have just got a Oneplus 3 phone and would like to take some shots through my scope but have no Idea how to get the best from it. Now hopefully the moon souldn't be a issue but what  I would really love is a great shot of Jupiter, Andrommada and the Orion nebula.

Are these targets possible with a phone or am I being tooo ambitous?

It is possible to get shots of bright objects like the Sun, Moon and planets with a phone but I have never seen anyone manage to capture a nebula or galaxy with one.

The best way to get a picture is to buy an eyepiece adapter that clamps your phone to the eyepiece so that it is nice and square and steady. I have a Tele Vue Fonemate which works really well with TV eyepieces bt is very expensive. Cheaper alternatives are available but it will depend on which eyepieces and phone you have as to which style will work best.

It's certainly possible to get something with a smartphone camera. I've played around with iPhones quite a bit, not sure how the camera compares with the one you mentioned.

I've found that some apps are useful for controlling the exposure and focus better. One of the biggest problems is over exposure do you lose the detail. I use something called ProCam 3 on iOS but I'm sure there are similar Android apps.

I also use PS Express to process images on the phone to further bring out the detail and improve contrast.

I've managed the Moon, Sun (using a Herschel wedge), Jupiter and even the Orion Nebula.

Here are some examples taken through a variety of scopes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think it's a great way to get started in astrophotography. But once you got bitten by the AP-bug, you'll want to put a more suitable camera behind the scope.

As evidenced, bright objects can give decent results, but objects such as the andromeda galaxy and dimmer objects are not within reach of a mobile phone.

Good luck

Read up on standard camera settings and understand them. Then load Open Camera for android ( open source with source code available so code can be altered if you are interested in taking it further ) this program will search your phone and supply menu trees and function settings based on your specific phones capabilities. If you are lucky you will have exposure lock and exposure ajust along with iso's 100 to 1600 or better.White balance ajust would be the cherry on top... :)

Here is one I did a while back when I started 3 months or so ago, I am mostly doing video now that I have very good imaging at the eyepiece or as I like to call it multiple viewer digitally enhanced eyepiece. Moreover have been using it as an enhanced obsrvation and sharing tool. Nice when folks don't grab the eyepiece or tripod while viewing thru your scope.

Aaron F Johnson Moon 196.jpg

9 hours ago, popeye85 said:

Am afraid that first of all I have to admit that I am one of those that 'want it all for nought' people!

Beware, astrophotography can take any large amount of money and still leave you wanting more kit :-)

But good luck in your experiments with what you now have.

Cheers,

Steve

After some recent successes with the first affixed eyepiece cameraphone both for astrophotography and terrestrial yesterday I finished building a second one...so I have 6.4 mm sp and 9.7 mm sp and another camera is in route with along with a 15 mm sp. Maybe the first set of it's kind...I am also able to zoom a couple clicks with each without degrading quality too much so a wide range of mags is emerging...just thought I share since we were on subject...:)

IMG_20160723_024435.jpg

IMG_20160723_024305.jpg

11 hours ago, Stu said:

It's certainly possible to get something with a smartphone camera. I've played around with iPhones quite a bit, not sure how the camera compares with the one you mentioned.

I've found that some apps are useful for controlling the exposure and focus better. One of the biggest problems is over exposure do you lose the detail. I use something called ProCam 3 on iOS but I'm sure there are similar Android apps.

I also use PS Express to process images on the phone to further bring out the detail and improve contrast.

I've managed the Moon, Sun (using a Herschel wedge), Jupiter and even the Orion Nebula.

Here are some examples taken through a variety of scopes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow! Trapezium stars resolved and what looks like a shadow transit on Jupiter. I didn't know that could done with a phone!

Some of these images are fantastic! 

Presumably these 'smartphone eyepiece adapters' represent a good way for several people to view live images of brighter objects? My son (9 years old) & I are keen to identify Apollo landing sites on the moon and Lunar 100 features. I guess this might be easier done on a smartphone screen where I can point more easily at features - try telling a 9 year old to look ' two crater widths to the East and then follow the linear feature north about another 1/2 crater width'.

Some of the clamps I've looked at seem to have  built in 10mm EP, but I'd prefer to use my own BST Eyepieces. FLO doesn't seem to carry them so I've ordered this from amazon today. I'll let you know how I get on. 

The LCD screen on the scope has worked well for me and my family and when neighbor's pop by I just slip in a cameraphone eyepiece module and it's all about inclusion. As well I can right there and then show saved footage, pics and starcharts making it a real conversation piece. For the moon it would work fine Jon. I use them most when the moon is up, when it's not I am difficult to approach in the dark hunting dso and for anyone planning to attend there are rules so not many do...lol...enjoy time spent with your son Jon.

My first Saturn with the smartphones Saturday and my first stack as well. Done with burst photo mode took 80 used 40, Saturn was low and the seeing average. Used the mak90 at 208x in alt-az mode and no tracking. Learned a little in the process so I should be able to get some actual detail with the next go but not bad for the equipment used and a guy who up to a few months ago never took a picture in his life...

Saturn Stack 7.31.16 40F Alcatel Smartphone 6mm Mak90 208x.png

Archived