Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece recommendation for a 8" Newtonian

Zackgar

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone can suggest a decent eyepiece to start my collection? I currently have a 9 and 25mm plossl and a 2" 28mm along with a 2x barlow. They all came with the scope so not the best and it's a bit bewildering trying to figure out if it's worth getting something to fill a gap in FL, or to replace an existing ep. I'm mostly interested in dsos and my budget is around 70 quid

Thanks all

Zack

Any of the EP's in my signature work well for my eyes,  on the 8" f/6  Skyliner scope, but the Delos are over and above your price restriction.

What is the brand and name of your scope? 

Welcome to the SGL

Hello and welcome to SGL. For DSO location I find a wide field eyepieces to be the best and that is even better with a 2"wide field. Unfortunately you do not say what scope you have which would be helpful. If it's a fast scope (around f5) then you do need to be more careful with eyepieces you get, as faster scopes will show up any limitations in eyepieces. 

For the money and I think you will need to buy used to possibly  get them in budget or even up your budget a bit. Then the William optics uwan 82 degree are a very good eyepiece for the money . And from my experience are fine with faster scopes. The skywatcher Nirvana are said to be the basically the same eyepieces from numerous posts on here so this may be helpful to know. I use a 28mm and 20mm wide angle for DSO and then go to something in the 13mm range magnification or a bit higher for a more detailed view where permits.

With DSO also to get the best possible chance of location and view a dark site really is important IMO. Faint fuzzys are really faint at times and maximum contrast between light objects and dark sky's do really come into there own where DSO faint fuzzys are concerned. Aperture also helps IMO ?

I hope this helps ☺

I would suggest you look at the BST Starguiders (£50), Celestron X-Cel LX'x (£60) and the Explore Scientific 68's that are in the bresser.de sale section (price depends on whatever the exchange rate is now!).  There isn't really a single eyepiece that will cover all the objects, it's more about finding the one in your collection that gives the best magnification/FoV/exit pupil for the object you're looking at. If it was me I would probably start with the 24mm ES68 to replace your 25mm Plossl and then get the 16mm ES68 and a 12mm Starguider or X-Cell LX when you can afford them.

Hi Zack,

This is an interesting dilemma!!

My advice is twofold:

1) I use AstroAid app on my iPad to determine eyepiece / scope / barlow combination on DSOs, this should give you some idea of the best combination;

2) Then get use to using what you already have.... save your money and add a little each month until you can afford a quality eyepiece.

I would also recommend going to a star party if possible, as most of the attendees will be happy for you try out a series of different setups. ( join a local Astronomy Club? )

As others have asked... what scope do you have?   ..... as this will determine what is the best.... a really good quality eyepiece will show up limitations of the scope.

Let us know how you get on......

Cheers

Adrian

For the money £49, BST Starguiders are very good, but it depends on your sky and depends on your eye,

I find them very comfortable to use, the twist up eye cup makes the difference, quite a lot of the manufacturers

are using this now, even on more expensive eyepieces, it gives you your preferred eye relief, well that's what I

think it does for me, you don't get kidney beaning if you find the right height when you twist the eye cup up,

and the views I get on good seeing nights are excellent.

This is the site I buy mine from   http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bst+starguider+eyepiece&_sacat=0 

Archived