Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

When stuff gets stuck...

I've a permanent home observatory and don't travel so my SCT scope, reducer, filter wheel and camera train (with a few adapters and spacers) rarely get disturbed during the observing season.

Despite the fact I've been at this game a while and I have decent mechanical sympathy, I still occasionally have to resort to force to get the odd components apart.  (Even when everything was originally no more than "finger tight" there's a good bit of weight to be supported).

This time i've admitted defeat with one reducer/adapter combo.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?  It must be a common bane?

Regards

Tony

I had two adapters stuck together recently. First I tried with rubber gloves, then with bench wise and big pliers. No luck.

Then I came up with an idea of using water. I placed adapter in the sink, then I poured some hot water on the outside and inside I poured cold. When I took it out it was loose and I was able to easily take them apart by hand.

Give it a try, atleast it worked for me. :happy11:

Archived