Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Albireo, Then The Coathanger Asterism, Aided By Precise GoTo

Albireo was easy to see in the finder as one point of light, but even low mag resolved it easily into its yellow and blue components - a very pleasing sight indeed.

My main target however was the Coathanger Asterism, part of Brocchi's Cluster.

The S&T Pocket Sky Atlas showed its designation as Collinder (Cr) 399, but this was not in the GoTo database, so I aimed for cluster NGC 6802, a little to the east.

Nothing that resembled a small cluster was visible (sky not very dark), so I put the Precise GoTo to work to be sure I was looking in the right place.  I have found this a most useful tool for locating and confirming objects, especially when only starting off with a basic one-star or solar alignment.  It allowed me to select Albireo as a reference, which I then centred in the EP.  The 'scope moved very slightly, so the initial GoTo was quite close.

CR 399 was immediately west of NGC 6802 in the Atlas, and sure enough, there was the Coathanger in the finder!  All six stars in a straight line, and the hanger bit of four more stars below that.  As predicted, I couldn't quite see the whole asterism in the lowest mag EP - there is a lot to be said for wider angle viewing!  Again, because the sky was not very dark, I did not notice any other stars in the cluster other than the ten in the Coathanger.

A very satisfying, short session, with GoTo, Precise GoTo, and a hint of star-hopping!

Doug.

It is a good one, and one I often re look at whenever it's visible. Under good skies it's a naked eye object, although just as a faint fuzzy. As you suggest, in a widefield scope or binoculars it is wonderful.

• 1 month later...
On 06/09/2016 at 10:21, Linda said:

I still have to look for that one, some day when the skies are dark again.

Linda, it should be visible for you, even with skies that are not yet dark. I have seen it with binoculars every clear night here since about the beginning of July. Good luck.

Archived