Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yippee, It's Arrived - S&T Pocket Sky Atlas

Ordered through Amazon, express delivery, after recommendation by some SGL members.  Thanks again!.

I was frustrated at not seeing much of what's out there using various apps, so went for an atlas.

This is looking to be a great aid to DSO hunting.  Lots of spiral-bound pages, each a bit bigger than A5, and packed with detail of a patch of sky, showing stars, constellations, and DSOs with handy colour-coding.  Nebulae for example are well outlined, although I don't expect to see their full extents!

Not only that, but there is a comprehensive index, divided by type of object, then sub-divided by catalogue (M, C, IC, NGC, etc.).

Really looking forward to using this atlas, and I too would now recommend it to anyone who has not yet acquired one.

Doug.

Excellent !

My mum bought me the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas for my birthday about 18 months ago and I can honestly say that it's made a massive difference to my DSO hunting sessions - I've found loads more objects than previously :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the endorsement, John.  Yes - you can see what's there, against a stellar backdrop, and I can't wait to spot new treasures.  I'm hoping a lot of them will be in the GoTo Database, otherwise I'll just go hunting!

Doug.

When I got the pocket atlas, I attached a clear plastic strip (approx. 3cm wide and the length of the page) with string tied to the binding, onto which I very lightly drew the cirlces of a telrad with permanent marker (anti dew!). Somewhere near the front or back of the atlas there's a telrad circle in the correct scale. You can then place this onto the object and orientate yourself against the sky when hunting. works great.

I got some clear vinyl self adhesive floor covering and have sealed in every page. I've been out in spring and autumn in awful dew. I've also added large written index at the front of constellations, it saves fumbling around in the dark. Just an ideal atlas,

Nick.

As Bart has mentioned, the telrad template as found in inside front cover is good for making a telrad chart plotter. I think that Nick, cotterless45 had also posted this idea sometime ago. I made mine using a finelinner pen to draw the circles  (with a template) onto the inside of a laminate sleeve. I now have a credit card size telrad chart marker,  so if you ever consider using a telrad this might be useful.

Just and idea, based on earlier points mentioned:

A piece of acetate sheet, with circles of three sizes drawn on with a CD marker.  Just move it around to see what you're likely to observe.

Approx. 5 degree diameter - used a 10p coin - what I see in the finder.

Approx. 2 degree diameter - used a 4.5-sized screwhead - twice what I see in a 30mm EP.

Approx. 1.5 degree diameter - used a 3.5-sized screwhead - what I see in a 50mm EP.

It's a sort of Telrad replacement - and you can use it for browsing or planning, before a session.

Doug.

P1040925.JPG

An excellent book.

I have tied some book ribbon onto mine to place-mark pages I would be using for a particular season. Much easier than scrabbling around for the red light torch and peering at the index, trying to find the right page!

@SacRiker - you'll be very pleased with it.  It's like having Stellarium out there with you, and you can see "everything" at a glance (without having to zoom in).

And it's got me thinking - I previously thought having a few degrees of FOV was a luxury you didn't really need, as most objects are small or at least dim beyond their cores.  But seeing the atlas with a good sense of scale (see earlier post) I realise a wide FOV would be great for panoramic views of stars/clusters, galaxy groups, nebulae, etc..  Only problem - I'm going to need another 'scope to complement the ones I have!

All good fun!

Better get saving.....

Doug.

• 1 month later...

I have had this atlas since 2010 and it is for me an irreplaceable part of my kit, be it at the scope or with binoculars. I have even bought it as a present to others. There is an incredible amount of information in just the right size for something to be held by hand out in the field, or even at the bedside for learning and planning in those hopeless cloudy nights. I hope you thoroughly enjoy using it. Cheers and good luck!

Archived