NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AR 2546 improved version

Iainp

Hi all. With the Bank Holiday Photon Shields (clouds) in place, and rain predicted for the next few days, there's plenty of time to revisit old data and try to improve on image processing skills.  Here's one of AR 2546 on the 22nd.  Astra Image Plus is wonderful but so far I'm finding ImPPG much better for  deconvolution. It gives a really "creamy yet sharp" result with a single click. Perhaps I just haven't got to grips with Astra properly yet.  The multi-scale contrast feature is superb in Astra though, and worth the purchase price alone, in my opinion.  Another improvement for me is to do all the contrast adjustment before wavelet sharpening or other sharpening.  Doing it the other way round led to overcooked contrast, I found, and this way leads to a more natural balanced look.  

22nd 1w.jpg

Thanks guys. Dave here's a gif comparing it with the previous version. Actually there's not a big difference frankly! The tonal range is better in the "improved" one I think, also a little more detail showing.  Also the umbra was  not so well defined in the other one but it's a bit more realistic in the second. ((Edit: oh, and quite a bit better in the lower right, near the limb, now that I look) 

22 com.gif

Iain the less sharpened image is best, really really easy to overcook any image with the processing.

In IMPPG I have found you can save your tonal adjustments to use on future images but your more likely to re do the sliders as this does not work all the time.

Have a good mess with it though.

Thanks! Yes Ewan, that's a great feature of ImPPG. I can't believe how easy it is to do batch processing and alignment with it too.  Shame Astra doesn't do batch processing, though I just read that it's "coming soon" and existing users can update for free. 

Archived