Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi, I'm really new to this and have only ever sat out with my binoculars and sky map app! But I have got use of a telescope from school and a tent! 

So where's the best place(s) for stargazing in the New Forest? 

Thanks in advance xx

Hi Perky

Welcome to SGL. I go camping down in the New Forest several times every summer and stay at a place call Roundhill Campsite about a mile east of Brockenhurst. It's not the cheapest campsite but there's a wide open space with no light pollution and no one bothers you. I always have my travel scope handy in the back of the camper.

There used to be a New Forest Stargazers group that met occasionally, but not seen any posts from them in a while.

There are also Wessex, Fordingbridge and Solent Amateur Astronomy groups that might be worth contacting, these get together for sessions in various places in/around the New Forest. (you can find them by searching the internet.

To be honest there are plenty of dark sites in the New Forest. Have a look on line for New Forest camp sites (places like Holmsley camp site).

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Jim Rand said:

A little bump as we're planning a trip down the new forest later this month. 

If anyone has any campsite recommendations? Roundhill site sounds good. 

I took my children to Roundhill many moons ago Jim and really enjoyed it. I seem to remember getting surrounded by a herd of cows at one point which was fun. Pretty dark there too, so I hope you get some clear nights.

• 4 weeks later...

The sky must be pretty good at Durlston Country Park, near Swanage which can't be a huge distance from you.  We are about to visit the nearby area and in doing my research I spotted that there is a publicly accessible telescope at Durlston Country Park, from this I determined that the sky must be pretty good down there for the project to exist.

https://www.durlston.co.uk/visit-astronomy.aspx

Edited by JOC

39 minutes ago, JOC said:

The sky must be pretty good at Durlston Country Park, near Swanage which can't be a huge distance from you.  We are about the visit the nearby area and in doing my research I spotted that there is a publicly accessible telescope at Durlston Country Park, from this I determined that the sky must be pretty good down there for the project to exist.

https://www.durlston.co.uk/visit-astronomy.aspx

The skies at Durlston are excellent the closest source of light pollution to the south is France. 

The Observatory at Durlston is operated by Wessex Astronomical Society and there are generally public observing sessions once a month except during the summer. 

Enjoy your visit. 

Ade

• Like 1