Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RAREST OF THE RARE! TAK TSC 225 ON THE WAY!

On sunday i wired the biggest amount i've ever paid for an ota to USA.

yes, its the legendary Takahashi TSC 225 sct, the finest sct ever made.

essentially handbuilt, the specs are impressive! 1/8 wave minimum final wavefront, schott BK7 corrector, the finest sct focusser with no image shift at x900! dual vent ports and famous tak build quality.

only 100 were made due to the very high cost to manufacture.

yes i am very excited! hope to see it in 2 weeks, meanwhile here are pics.

mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After an anxious few days the Tak arrived courtesy of Fedex and a hefty import duty charge, but it was a relief to see no damage at all. it was packed in a huge custom made ali reinforced flight case with double density custom foam. any thoughts of keeping that in the house soon vanished as my wife ordered it banished to the shed!

just waiting for a long dovetail to arrive and i retapped the dovetail mounting holes with M6 thread to beef up the dovetail attachment.

then next clear night i'll check collimation and see how it performs.

mike

Geoff,you're almost right about the shed. the flight case it came in is so huge my wife has ordered it out of the house into the shed!

the ota stays in the house, i have insured it on all risks anywhere in the world!

first job as soon as dovetail is sorted, which will be by saturday, is check and adjust collimation as soon as weather co-operates.

mike

NICE...........

Poor photo's (allegedly) are better than none. I feel your joy Mike !!

Keep us posted, for us northern, light, no darkness type chap/chapessess. I'm going stir crazy and may have to post a follow up to the raisin/cornflake battle, now the lounge has reopened !!

I Love the Cat/Mak/etc design. I blame my dad and his gift to me of the wee Polish Maksutov, many years past.

Just got myself a Intes MK72, of which I'm terribly excited by. A months wait, roughly, before a decent 1st light. Collimation is bang on it seems, which is good. Perhaps I can do a side by side with my Tal 200K, eventually.

Always fancied the Mewlon 180. But do tell, now that you have had the chance to fondle your new love. Is the famed Tak build quality true???? I have no doubts as regards to the optics :)

Enjoy,

Andy.

Fantastic looking scope Mike :):lol: :lol:

Just looking at the pics has made me get my humble 8 inch dob outside and cooling for a session - scopes like yours just make you itch to get to an eyepiece !.

Thanks for posting the pics - look forward to a 1st light report :)

John

its 12-30 am, just in and packed up. really worked on the collimation, used the webcam to get it more or less centred, and then visually to fine tweak. collimation action is very much like my former mewlon 210, but alot less sensitive to a slight miscollimation due to F12.

anyhow its as good as i can get it! the out of focus diffraction rings are more refractor like than an sct, and much tighter than the c9.25 i owned, and very similar in and out of focus.

another nice feature is the removeable cooling port cover to help cooldown faster, and the port is filtered, a nice touch.

managed a quick look at jupiter, and despite very poor seeing, much irregularity of the NEB and SEB was visible using a zeiss 16mm ortho and TMB 14mm supermono.

can't wait for next quarter moon phase!

time to call it a night, more as and when weather permits!

mike

• 3 weeks later...

i had my first serious look at jupiter last saturday evening, seeing was at best 3 out of 5.

in a word, the contrast of this sct is fantastic, absolutely comparable to the TMB 130 i owned, the detail in the NEB and SEB was excellent in moments of steady air, and many fine belts popping into view.

best views were with a pentax 0-18 ortho at x150 and TMB mono at x192.

collimation was still perfect after initial setup recently.

i also finally had the cooling fan operational, which resulted in cooldown of about 40 mins.

a wonderful scope!

mike

• 1 month later...

The Tak is going to be pampered next week, well actually Steve at Telescope House is going to remove and clean the corrector and then recollimate at an absurd magnification on their optical bench.

while its there i'm going to thoroughly check the effect of the Star Diagonal on the collimation.

quite looking forward to a pristine corrector!

only neg is a total journey of around 450 miles!

mike

Archived