Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera options ??

Hi 

I am happy to have finally signed up to SL and am just trying to take in the wealth of information here.Could anyone advise me at this early stage?

I have been taking night shots of Milky way and Aurora using a Sony A7s for the last year or so.I got this camera with an eye to getting a Heq5 mount and have now added a Sykwatcher Ed80 to the set up.I have imaged the moon and hoped to move on to some easy DSO but my first few attempts i have noticed the well documented Star eater problem on my images which occurs in bulb mode.After finally getting even to this stage its disappointing to see the donut stars that are being truncated by the camera.I could maybe sell it to get an astro modded Canon which might give better results or would it be better to look out for a Ccd and filter wheel.I dont want to get too muddled at this early stage as i'm not sure how complicated it will be to set up ccd but also really want to have a set up that works for a good while without wasting any more money after the problem with the A7.

If anyone has a work around for the star eater thsat would also be good as i could maybe get that modded but not as it is currently working.I live in a green zone for LP but on the edge of a dark sky area.Could anyone give me some pointers as i would like to get in to some more AP but feel i'm lacking direction on how to move forward.

Many thanks

Craig

Yes unfortunately with the sony a7s there is the problem with the star eating. I have seen a few pictures with it. I have a Canon EOS 60D which has been amazing when in low light. I would consider selling the sony and get a good starter like a Canon Eos 1100D which is under £400. It also depends on if your imaging highlight is deep sky or planetary. You could probably mod that as well and then you would get a good imaging setup. The 80ed is a great scope for imaging nebulas.

Seb

Thanks,its good to know the Ed80 will work well.I have read that they are great on ccd's  too and there are a few s/h around for the same price as the Canon you mentioned.I guess i need to keep researching and looking for a good deal.I have also spent a few ££ on lenses for the A7 and like it for Night time landscapes etc so have to weigh it all up before selling

1 minute ago, Craig123 said:

Thanks,its good to know the Ed80 will work well.I have read that they are great on ccd's  too and there are a few s/h around for the same price as the Canon you mentioned.I guess i need to keep researching and looking for a good deal.I have also spent a few ££ on lenses for the A7 and like it for Night time landscapes etc so have to weigh it all up before selling

Small refractors like your yours are perfect for nebula and other deep sky. The focal length is 600mm. Where did you get it from?

Canon EOS 60d : http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1100d/

You can pick up a second hand Canon 1100d for £100 or even less on that auction site. 

It's a personal thing but to me and my level of how much time I get filters and CCD look way over kill.

Think about where you want to go and whether want to aim straight there or start with a cheaper dslr first. Could also read the book making every photon count.

CCDs are definitely for pros. I'm not sure you would like to start with them at all. The best ones can be £5000. Cheaper ones like the Orion G3 are about 350.

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

You can pick up a second hand Canon 1100d for £100 or even less on that auction site. 

It's a personal thing but to me and my level of how much time I get filters and CCD look way over kill.

Think about where you want to go and whether want to aim straight there or start with a cheaper dslr first. Could also read the book making every photon count.

I didn't know you could get 1100d that cheap! Wow!

I 've taken a few shots from the back garden but the main highlight has been the donut stars lol. I don't have loads and loads of spare time and the lack of clear skies makes me wonder about how much success i would have with ccd.I would have definitely gone down the canon route but thought the A7s would have been great as I already had an A7. I have seen some great images using them that dont seem to have the bulb mode problem mine does.Yes,I was hoping to in to get some dSO pics Seb.

Canons are great for astroimaging. The ease of use and setup is great. I have seen and tried Nikon and they are not as good. possibly if you are looking at DSOs check the canon eos 60da which is made for astroimaging. The it block filter has been taken out so you don't have to worry about modding it.

Nikon have done the same thing (Nikon D810A) but the canon is better.

seb

Archived