NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What template

Hi Russ

I've got broadband, too - so I don't think it was a modem issue.

Not to worry. Grant has set me up with a great red & black template (makes your posts look really swell, Russ! :)) - so I'm happy.

The black background is also great for posting astro pics here. :)

BTW - just wondered what browser you're using, Russ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The strange thing is that the starry night background isn't actually that big an image, I think perhaps it may be that it's an animated gif is causing problems with older browsers, this template should be pretty quick for everyone as it users barely any images in comparison with other templates.

Tis a weird one, do you mind me asking Andy, what is the spec of your computer? Because it could be the computer speed isn't enough to handle the animated gif, this would be unusual but not unheard of.

To fix it, I could always change the gif to be a solid image rather than animated, so it wouldn't twinkle anymore but would be even quicker to load etc... what do you guys think?

Grant

Funny you should say that Grant. I was just going to suggest the same thing. Clearly the likes of Russ & James, whose systems are more up to date than mine, don't have a problem with it.

I agree. Make the StargazersLounge template the default.

Andy, i'm using Firefox 1.06 but i've tried with Explorer 6.0 and Opera, all run fine with the Stargazers template. The only one i haven't tried is Netscape.

I'll give this a go with some PC's at work tomorrow. Some are PII 300's with 64Mb ram. Can't imagine anyone's running the internet these days with specs lower than that.

I think it would be a good idea to set the Stargazers as the default, our own style. I think it looks great anyway.

Russ

I've moved over to the stargazers template and it looks great. Never thought that my home made background would end up being used like this - cool...

This is just a thought - wonder if we should have an Observing button somewhere, when observing you could click on it and it changes the template to a red/black one (for dark adaption) and then click on it again when you've finished observing and the template changes back!

Silly idea really.

Ant

Hi everyone,

This template should be quick for all users/browsers now, do we want to change it to the default theme?

I'll take a look into your idea Ant, it'd be a cool little feature but I'm not sure how possible it is, because how would people be able to switch back again? It would need to somehow remember what theme they were using before and when you click the observe button, it all changes and it shows a button called unobserve or something which switches you back to your usual theme.

• 1 month later...

Okay so what template is eveyone using?

I've gone for Spacepilot3K

It looks pretty good. The only one I couldn't live with is CanverRed.

Russ

I must have missed this thread .... what is all this template stuff? 

You are clearly all more computer literate than me! 

Steve :)

Hi Steven,

This thread was about the old forum system we used, before there was a custom template for the site we had a number of different styles of templates so people could pick and choose, now we just have the Stargazers Lounge template.

We can have multiple templates here too, but it makes it difficult if people use colours in their posts for text and things because it may work well in the default dark template, but if people use light coloured templates they won't be able to read it.

Hope that helps,

Grant

Archived