Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What template

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too keen on any of the others - so I'm sticking with the default.

The problem with people having different templates is that when you use (e.g.) different text colours, what looks good on one template can be next to impossible to make out on another.

Just a thought.................. :)

I agree that a default theme needs to be decided upon, then if people want to use the other themes they can but must accept the possibility of posts not working as expected because everyone else is using the default theme.

The theme I prefer and use is the smartDark theme, the reason being it's extremely fast loading because it uses few graphics etc... the cobalt theme seems to have quite alot of graphics and on a slow connection pages take a little longer to load, the same goes for the spacepilot theme.

The other option is to edit one of the themes to make it more personalised and individual to this site, my suggestion would be to start with the smartDark theme and then choose things from the other themes to make it even better, for example adding a star field type background, possibly like the one on Ant's site: http://anthony.bowskill.org.uk/.

The logo is an awesome picture, and works extremely well as a logo, it could just do with being a little bigger as it looks a little pixelated, I'm not sure who made it but if someone could send me a higher res version I can make it bigger and clearer. I could also setup a logo like the main one but with the line "Astro Discussion Forum" or something along those lines undernearth "StarGazers Lounge" so that people can have it in their signatures on other forums and websites like the Isee Stars logo people are using on here in their signatures.

Anyway, they're just a few ideas, whatever everyone decides they want I'll help all I can to get it sorted.

Grant

A personalised template sounds good. A starry background would be a good start. And fast loading is always a good feature of a website. Don't want to lose anyone because our site is too slow.

I took picture used for the banner. So i can send the high res version through.

You're are right about it needing a subtitle. Astro discussion forum or Astronomy Discussion Forum sounds about right.

I'll dig out the original pic and send it through Grant.

Very, very nice! Which one do you want me to use for the forum logo? Also, you can remove the index.php from the site url, it will work just the same without it and makes it a bit easier to remember, and type!

If you go into your profile and change the theme to "stargazerslounge" you can see what i've done so far, what do you all think? Any suggestions?

hehe, you guys must've missed it! The stargazerslounge one is a customised smartDark one with a better background, I changed the stop added a logo and moved the title around a bit. If anybody can think of other request, different images/smileys etc.. just holler and I'll see what I can rustle together.

If people really prefer the stargazerslounge theme, perhaps that could be set as the default theme in admin?

Grant

I was going to post a poll, James - but have just noticed a problem with this new template.........

It seems to take ages to right click & select copy - or perform any other operation involving right clicking with the mouse.

As a result, I've gone back to the default template.

It's strange that it only acts slow on the stargazerslounge theme as the code that is causing the problem was part of the quick reply mod which is in all themes, I've now removed that particular part from the stargazerslounge theme, if possible could you cheque to see if it is still acting slow for you?

The quick reply mod should function exactly as it did before.

Cheers,

Grant

Hi Grant.

Still takes about 20 seconds for the browser to respond when I right click either on the URL of the page or on any of the graphics. The 'Smart Dark' theme on its own seems to be fine.

The response time may be limited to my browser. It'll be interesting to see what others here have to say.

Grant, been browsing the templates on offer by phpbb. As someone who likes black & red, I've fallen in love with the 'RedGlass' design (see http://www.phpbb.com/styles/forum/index.php?style=231 - or http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo.php-select 'RedGlass' from menu).

If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to add this one to our list of options on Stargazers Lounge? love.gif

Russ, don't even bother checking it out - it'll make you CRINGE!!! yikes.gif

Hi Andy/Grant,

I'm using the Stargazers template and it seems ultra responsive, including right click functions. But that's on broadband. I haven't got a dial up modem at the moment or else i'd give it it a try. I wonder if it's Ant's starry background that has slowed it down on dial up?

Russ

Archived