Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AR 2533 & Friends April 29th 2016 Ha

Lowjiber

21 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Lordy, John! This image melted my mouse! :D

Which new Barlow did you get? Or another new Barlow-type lens, like a PowerMate? Seems to be working well.

I just ordered a 2" GSO 2X achromatic Barlow myself.

Nice work!

Dave

Dave, I have one of those GSO 2x achro Barlows.  You'll like it... extraordinary, even compared to more expensive ones.

I had to make a 1.5x Barlow for the Lunt 60 imaging rig.  Old trick, but I had to do some cutting that usually isn't needed.  My tilt-adapter doesn't have any threads on the barrel, so just screwing a lens from a 2x Barlow wouldn't work.

I found an old Barlow in my "sock drawer" that had a pretty clear lens.  I removed the lens element; removed the actual glass; cut the element barrel just below the threads; and replaced the glass.  Then, I just drop the now-threadless element into the eyepiece holder and put the cam/tilt-adapter in place over it.

Sounds simple, but it took me a week to figure something out. LOL

Best,

John

Here's AR 2536 with it today...

AR 2536  MAY 1st 2016.jpg

11 minutes ago, Lowjiber said:

...................................................I found an old Barlow in my "sock drawer" that had a pretty clear lens.  I removed the lens element; removed the actual glass; cut the element barrel just below the threads; and replaced the glass.  Then, I just drop the now-threadless element into the eyepiece holder and put the cam/tilt-adapter in place over it.

Sounds simple, but it took me a week to figure something out. LOL ....................................................

I think we're cut from the same cloth! Sounds like something I'd come up with: Mechnical-Engineering for the Diabolically Inclined.....

You're the 2nd. person to tell me the 2" GSO Barlow is better than passable-quality. Their quality of goods seems to have increased greatly in the last decade or so. Their Crayford-Focusers are excellent and inexpensive - when compared to the fancy ones that have those funky colored anodyzing-jobs.

Now back to my Doc Clay's Cleaning-Solution and my 127mm achromat :eek: -

Dave

Archived