Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fra Mauro region

astroavani

429379b4653832e8bd7265de676de37b.1824x0_None
A new catch this interesting region reminded me of an old post dated August 15, 2013.

Mountain Fra Mauro ETA:
Selenográficas Coordinates: LAT: 2.3 º S, LON: 15.5 º W.
Photos on the Map: LAC-76.

Named after the geographer century. XV, known as Fra Mauro, born in Venice on unknown date and died in 1459, who was the author of a famous World map published in 1450.
Fra Mauro ETA is a mountain just studied. Positioned longitudinally oriented in North-South direction.
Fra Mauro ETA has maximum width of 11 km, length of approximately 30 km and height unknown. The mountain hosts near its midpoint a small crater Fra Mauro R (LAT: 2.2 ° S, LON: 15.6 ° W, diameter: 3.5 km).

The mountain Fra Mauro ETA is considered by many scientists as a "formation of radial sculpture Mare Imbrium Basin" because along points directly to the Mare Imbrium.
What does "sculpture radial Mare Imbrium Basin"?
Around the Mare Imbrium Basin regions are covered by ejecta from the impact that created the basin, extending for about 800 km out of the Basin.
Also encircling the Mare Imbrium Basin, there is a "pattern of grooves and radial sculpture" called "Imbrium radial sculpture", which have been interpreted as "grooves / striations and other formations radial" in relation to the Mare Imbrium, created on the surface of Moon by large projectiles ejected at low angles during the huge impact that created the Imbrium Basin, causing them to slip on the lunar surface for cutting and "sculpt" the radial formations.
These data were known until recently.
Currently using a tool that allows mapping altimetry profiles in Quick Map 3 strokes performed to determine the average height of Fra Mauro in the ETA 3 points shown in the photo annex link.
http://www.astrobin.com/full/53637/None/

In higher resolution: http://www.astrobin.com/full/246573/None/

Text: Avani Soares

0798a9153dffef06bea7cbcabbf3364e.1824x0_

These types of altitude data is obtained using the QuickMap the paint tool provided by LROC probe NASA colleague Barkis!
This tool lets you draw altimetry profiles from anywhere on the moon and was with her I discovered two ghost craters, one of which has already been published here and can still be accessed at this link:

http://astroavani.no.comunidades.net/relatando-a-descoberta-uma-nova-cratera-fantasma
The same tool can also be used to create 3D projections that was what I used nest post.

I wasn't aware of Ghost craters, and the  Wolllaston D.explanation given by your friend Val is rather interesting.
It seems their detection visually is very dependent upon very low angle of sunlight over the lunar surface.
The moon is, and will always remain, and interesting body for study. 
A pity these Ghost craters on the far side of the moon will remain hidden, perhaps until 
Men can explore the far side in the Decades hence. I'm not sure If Lunar Orbital Cameras
could reveal their presence.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived