Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Want to see the transit of Mercury but have never looked at the sun before so a bit worried. Advise please

pblackwell

Hi guys, hope you're all well.

I really want to see the transit of Mercury but I've never looked at the sun before and am a bit worried.

I was thinking of getting this film and trying to make my own filter, but am a bit worried incase I damage the film without knowing https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Baader_AstroSolar_Safety_Film.html#SID=823

Or I was thinking of buying this http://www.telescopehouse.com/solar-observing/solar-filters/orion-safety-film-solar-filter-for-4-5-reflector-telescopes.html

What would you advise? I have a Skywatcher Explorer 130M telescope.

Also, there are two holes with caps on the tube cover. Am I right that I'd put the filter on the end of the tube, then put the cover back on and remove only one of the caps?

Thanks guys!

Paul

I would go with the Baader Solar Film. It is very good optical quality and very robust so unlikely to become damaged so long as it is treated gently. It also comes with some instructions on how to mount it. Even I managed to make a DIY mount and my DIY skills leave a considerable amount to be desired :rolleyes:

The other option is to get a pre-mounted filter like this one

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

You just put this over the aperture of your scope, tighten the grub screws and away you go. I have one for one of my scopes which I keep in a small tupperware tub. It's done about 6-7 years of service now and still going strong.

3 minutes ago, pblackwell said:

Will check them out, thanks guys.

What power eyepiece would I use with the solar film? High power, medium or low?

That really depends upon the seeing conditions. Early morning is often best for higher power views as the atmosphere has not heated up so there are fewer convection currents. Just try out different mags and see which works best. Low power views can show the whole disk and can show up the surface granulation quite nicely, higher power is useful for looking more closely at active areas, and Mercury of course.

As has been said, be careful and make sure you understand what you are doing and all will be well. Do cover or remove your finder too!

I'll give FLO, Harrison and Telescope House a call and see what they suggest (I bet the Baader film, but I'd prefer one already made rather than make one myself).

Will let you know what I end up getting :\

Many thanks

Here is my 130 PDS with a home made Baader film solar filter for your info. Using it I also took a shot of the recent 'heart' sunspot. Most retailers have had a mad rush on solar viewing items as you can imagine. Mercury will subtend about 12 arc seconds across the Sun's disk. So very roughly you could fit 150 of those into the disk. That is small so you will need a configuration that allows you to bigger than a full disk.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, pblackwell said:

Hi guys, hope you're all well.

I really want to see the transit of Mercury but I've never looked at the sun before and am a bit worried.

I was thinking of getting this film and trying to make my own filter, but am a bit worried incase I damage the film without knowing https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Baader_AstroSolar_Safety_Film.html#SID=823

Or I was thinking of buying this http://www.telescopehouse.com/solar-observing/solar-filters/orion-safety-film-solar-filter-for-4-5-reflector-telescopes.html

What would you advise? I have a Skywatcher Explorer 130M telescope.

Also, there are two holes with caps on the tube cover. Am I right that I'd put the filter on the end of the tube, then put the cover back on and remove only one of the caps?

Thanks guys!

Paul

The Orion filter you have linked to is the wrong size for your telescope. The correct size solar filter for the Explorer 130 is 155-165mm diameter

46 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Here is my 130 PDS with a home made Baader film solar filter for your info. Using it I also took a shot of the recent 'heart' sunspot. Most retailers have had a mad rush on solar viewing items as you can imagine. Mercury will subtend about 12 arc seconds across the Sun's disk. So very roughly you could fit 150 of those into the disk. That is small so you will need a configuration that allows you to bigger than a full disk.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

wow Chris that's a lovely pic of the sun! Can you explain what you mean by " you will need a configuration that allows you to bigger than a full disk" ? thanks - Paul

Archived