NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starsense and PC Control

Spacedout

Hello All,

Firstly, apologies if this is not in the right place but I've tried software and cameras and have not had much luck...

Does anyone here use the Celestron Starsense camera and use a PC to control your setup?  I am currently burning brain-cells with frustration trying to work out how to do this.  Basically, before I could use Nexremote but this does not work with Starsense.  I can (I think) use Stellarium but this only works for Goto operation and does not have the option to nudge up/down left/right.  This is no good if I need to centre the target when slightly off.  I have looked at Ascom but I can not work that out either.  Currently I have one cable running from the scope which gives me control over two cameras, the focusser and scope.  I do not want to add another cable if I can help it so it would be good to find out the correct software to use with Starsence if possible.

Many thanks

Karl 

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but I have just got the Celestron Skyportal WiFi Module.  I opted not to get the StarSense, since alignment is easy enough, esp. with this new module.

It allows me to align and control the 'scope via my tablet running the Skyportal app.  It's very easy and convenient, and the GoTo is brilliant, whether from objects on the screen map or the app's database.  

Doug.

7 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but I have just got the Celestron Skyportal WiFi Module.  I opted not to get the StarSense, since alignment is easy enough, esp. with this new module.

It allows me to align and control the 'scope via my tablet running the Skyportal app.  It's very easy and convenient, and the GoTo is brilliant, whether from objects on the screen map or the app's database.  

Doug.

Thanks Doug,

This might be the answer as I'm not getting anywhere with info on the Starsense.  I was thinking of selling it and going back to the 3 star alignment routine as at least then I could use the Nexremote but I'll now take a look at the Skyportal app so thank you.

Best wishes

Karl 

8 hours ago, Spacedout said:

Thanks Doug,

This might be the answer as I'm not getting anywhere with info on the Starsense.  I was thinking of selling it and going back to the 3 star alignment routine as at least then I could use the Nexremote but I'll now take a look at the Skyportal app so thank you.

Best wishes

Karl 

Karl - I thought the StarSense was a little bulky and costly, and does it not take up valuable space on the dovetail shoe?

Anyway, the WiFi module works a treat.  I had previously only done solar or one-star alignment, but it (and the app) makes you use the accurate three-star method, and I found it really quick and easy!  You are guided through with onscreen instructions.  

And the other great thing is that the module takes time, date, and position from the tablet's GPS, so no need for SkySync or manual entry.

Cheers,

Doug.

See:

Hi Karl,

i had this working with the new celestron ascom driver and the same scope . To do that I used the r323 cable from the back of the Starsense hand control directly to the laptop . 

I also had a few issues with firmware on the Starsense as the manual is pathetic and outdated .  But once you get it working correctly it is awesome and the plate solving means your gotos will be pin point even at high magnification. 

I have a StarSense, however, to date, I have only found a couple of applications that will allow you to set the SS to align mode.

1. SkyPortal for IOS (and Android but I can't comment on that) - I have a Celestron WiFi module in one of it's various guises
  2. SkySafari 5 Pro for OSX ( standard and intermediate version may work - I do not have them) which works with USB-Srial adapter and RS-232 cable to SS handset as well as the WiFi module.

I have not yet identified a Windows application which will allow me to start StarSense on it's alignment sequence.

A Recent NexRemote document relating to StarSense says it is NOT compatible with Nexstar+ hand controller. (I will need to find the particular document to reference tho', and this may have changed since that was written - I saw it in the last 4-6 weeks).

However, using SkyPortal to do the alignment from my iPhone is great, as I can then select my target there too, it is nice and accurate.

PHD2 and BackyardEos (both Windows) are used for my guiding and capture.

HTH

Archived