SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ISS solar transit 20th April (GIFs)

The ISS was predicted to cross the Sun's disk at 15:53:29s on Wednesday.  The event was visible in a 6km wide track near my location.  Using a home made Baader solar filter on my SW 130 PDS and my DSLR with EOS Utilities I captured the moment, rather poorly.  There are 2 GIFs. One is real time as the transit lasted a whole 0.55 seconds and the other is the same GIF slowed down a bit.  With hindsight I could have got the image scale up but it was all a bit hectic.

Screen Shot 2016-04-16 at 13.14.54.png

ISrealtime.gif

ISSslow.gif

Yes a lot of luck involved, one of those things you can't really practice in advance like "normal" imaging.

Hope you're Lunt arrives soon along with some more solar activity as it's gone a bit quiet up there.

Dave

1 hour ago, PBS said:

Congrats on the capture :)

You can always up the image scale next time .. I think I would adopt the same approach make sure you capture it first then think about a frame filler!!

Peter...

Spot on Peter.  If I could have guaranteed my brain would successfully compute the part of the Sun's disk affected then I would have used my ASI 120MM. I chickened out and went for the full frame chip.  By the way, the ISS subtended 42" in this instance or 3x what Mercury will be on May 9th.  That gives you an idea how small Mercury will appear.

44 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Spot on Peter.  If I could have guaranteed my brain would successfully compute the part of the Sun's disk affected then I would have used my ASI 120MM. I chickened out and went for the full frame chip.  By the way, the ISS subtended 42" in this instance or 3x what Mercury will be on May 9th.  That gives you an idea how small Mercury will appear.

At least Mercury will take a leisurely 7 and a bit hours to cross, may be a bit too low at the end.

Dave

Archived