Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you observe with (almost) full moon?

Linda

Last night I prepared for observing by letting the scope stand outside at night. After not having slept a single minute because of having worries, I got up at 1:45 o'clock. Walked outside in my night gown and concluded that the moon was brighter than the neighbour's lampposts. I saw quite a few stars, but my goal was viewing Mars. But with the enormous light I couldn't be motivated to get dressed and sit outside for some time. The excuse of needing some sleep was easily found.

Do you in general observe with bright moon casting sharp shadows on your observing place?

This weekend I am going on a 4-day weekend to Denmark, where I can spend as much of the night outside as I want. Would you bother to bring a telescope with full moon? My goal is not to view the moon but rather the planets and deep sky. The nights are not quite long. I actually tend to bring it is the car has enough space, if only to observe the sun.

I try to, but look for double stars and clusters rather than DSOs as the moon isn't kind on nebula and galaxies.

I had good intentions last night, started with some twilight viewing of the moon and Jupiter, but gave up as it was still go light, too cold and I haven't got a high power eyepiece at the moment, so some of those tight doubles were tricky.

I did however decided that the telrad I've just got is awesome, and why did i not get one sooner?

Hello Linda. Sorry that you've got worries and I hope they go away soon. I love observing the planets and the full (or almost full) moon has little or no effect  on them . I was out  last night and this morning and observed Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn. 

Double stars are also good targets for when Luna is at her brightest. But I leave the Dob in the garage and wait for darker nights for the faint fuzzies etc.

I suspect that in Norway the skies are not really dark at this time of year anyway - but there's lots to see with the planets at the moment and there's the doubles for some light relief

Kerry 

38 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Hello Linda. Sorry that you've got worries and I hope they go away soon. I love observing the planets and the full (or almost full) moon has little or no effect  on them . I was out  last night and this morning and observed Mercury, Jupiter, Mars and Saturn. 

Double stars are also good targets for when Luna is at her brightest. But I leave the Dob in the garage and wait for darker nights for the faint fuzzies etc.

I suspect that in Norway the skies are not really dark at this time of year anyway - but there's lots to see with the planets at the moment and there's the doubles for some light relief

The worries are solved today. :-)

Yes, the sky was surprisingly light, but I think it was mainly because of the moon. But it starts getting light shortly after 4 0'clock (I live at 59 degrees).

Last time I observed with a light background, I looked at double stars. I hope to see some triple doublet soon. Or being able to split a difficult one. 

I observe with a bright Moon frequently, though often the Moon itself ;) which is really worth a look.

Deep sky at this time is mostly a bad I find, even open clusters. Bright doubles are still good and planetary is just fine.

I was observing Jupiter yesterday evening whilst it was still too bright to see it in the sky and the detail was much better than later in the dark. This is often the case and some planetary observers will put on an outdoor light on to avoid becoming even marginally dark adapted. 

Contrast this behaviour with deep sky enthusiasts that wouldn't consider looking at a planet in their scope and ruining their adaption for the night and you'll see that there's always something to observe under just about any conditions.

Enjoy your observing whatever you choose to observe.

James

I don't want to put you off but generally I don't bother, this though is as I get alot of clear nights under normal circumstances, if such exists these days.

If however I have had a bad run of things then I will go out but spend time on planets and doubles. We have of course got Jupiter riding high at the moment and if you can wait up, Mars with Saturn, though fairly low for you there. These planets are pretty much Moon proof no matter what the phase.

Full Moon is a good time for doubles; many years ago, I noticed that it was only clear when the Moon was out & about, so I decided to concentrate on double and multiple stars. It can be difficult to find fainter pairs by star hopping though when the sky background is bright so I imagine a goto is useful!

Chris 

Archived