Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 16/4/16

mikeDnight

59 minutes ago, colin2007 said:

I went out this evening with the intention to sketch Jupiter, but the seeing conditions were so poor I thought it would be pointless.

Looking at your excellent drawing, maybe I should have attempted it

Hi Colin, 

I felt similar yesterday. The view was like looking through a river of fast moving air but I thought I'd sketch it anyway, just in the hope of detecting something not immediately obvious. I think it was worth the effort but the view was never the less a bit lack lustre.

Mike

Really wonderful observing and sketching skills Mike. If you compare your (presumably right left inverted) sketch with the image in the thread below, taken at almost exactly the same time you have done superbly well. I struggle with Jupiter as although I can do dots and smudges to achieve sketches of sunspots, I have little artistic skill. I must practice more as I'd love to be able to get down the sort of detail you manage.

Is there any way you could please describe your method as I'd really appreciate it.

10 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Really wonderful observing and sketching skills Mike. If you compare your (presumably right left inverted) sketch with the image in the thread below, taken at almost exactly the same time you have done superbly well. I struggle with Jupiter as although I can do dots and smudges to achieve sketches of sunspots, I have little artistic skill. I must practice more as I'd love to be able to get down the sort of detail you manage.

Is there any way you could please describe your method as I'd really appreciate it.

Hi Shane,

I have to go to work just now but later today I will give you a rundown of how I go about sketching the planet's. It's really simple, you'll love it!

Mike

I look forward to the notes too. I have been experimenting with sketching Jupiter using the Sketchbook app on an iPad. So far I've done some trial ones which are not based on any particular observation but trying out various techniques. The next step will be to base them on actual observations. I have tried this too, but I must say I don't find sketching at the eyepiece at all easy. So - any hints and tips welcome. 

19 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

I look forward to the notes too. I have been experimenting with sketching Jupiter using the Sketchbook app on an iPad. So far I've done some trial ones which are not based on any particular observation but trying out various techniques. The next step will be to base them on actual observations. I have tried this too, but I must say I don't find sketching at the eyepiece at all easy. So - any hints and tips welcome. 

I only ever do a rough sketch at the eyepiece as its just too difficult to get everything right straight off. Most of my rough sketches look like a traffic accident, but I understand the scribbles. I then make a cleaned up version soon after the observing session is over, usually on the same night and within an hour or two. Ive made a fictitious  sketch of jupiter to illustrate my technique but there are no hard and fast rules. I will post shortly!

Mike

16 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Here we go Shane.

You'll probably need: a small selection off graphic pencils, sharpener, putty rubber, blending stick and cotton buds. Also, a roll of low tack masking plastic, but its not essential.

Slightly compress a roll of sellotape and use he inner ring as a template to create the elliptical disk of jupiter. You can draw directly onto the sketch book or onto the paper back of the low tack plastic. If you use low tack plastic you'll then need to cut carefully around the outline of jupiter, peel off the paper back and place the plastic mask on your page. See the first two pictures.

Using 6b pencil or similar, gently build up the dark sky background surrounding the planet, taking care not to disturb the edge of the plastic mask. With care you can use the same mask about ten times before needing to renew it. Then use the paper stump and cotton bud to blend the sky background. 

Remove the mask and store in the lid of pencil box for use another time.

Use the cotton bud to draw graphite from the surrounding sky background to create the belts. See attached images.

Use the blending stick to intensify dark areas, using the surrounding graphite sky as your pallet. 

Use the putty rubber to sharpen belt edges if necessary and to remove graphite to create ovals or turbulent mottling.

A pencil can be used to enhance dark edges but be gentle, you don't want obvious pencil lines to show on the finished sketch.

I hope the images help.

Mike ☺

20160418_125800.jpg

20160418_125959.jpg

2016-04-18 13.28.13.jpg

2016-04-18 13.29.14.jpg

2016-04-18 13.32.06.jpg

2016-04-18 13.32.55.jpg

2016-04-18 13.33.34.jpg

2016-04-18 13.34.33.jpg

2016-04-18 13.35.49.jpg

2016-04-18 13.36.19.jpg

2016-04-18 13.40.01.jpg

Beautifully explained Mike, thank you so much. I can see a visit to Hobbycraft in my future. I think I still have the black plastic circles I cut out to make rings for my solar sketches. I may just try and file or cut these into a slight oval as they will wipe clean after each use. Do you just pull little chunks off the putty rubber? Never tried this.

Great explanation Mike. How do you work at the eyepiece? Do you use a head torch or something fixed to a clipboard? It would be good to see one of your rough sketches from the eyepiece  - if you are OK with publishing one! :icon_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Beautifully explained Mike, thank you so much. I can see a visit to Hobbycraft in my future. I think I still have the black plastic circles I cut out to make rings for my solar sketches. I may just try and file or cut these into a slight oval as they will wipe clean after each use. Do you just pull little chunks off the putty rubber? Never tried this.

Hi Shane.

The putty rubber can be formed into a point or a blade, or can be used to just dab off excessive graphite I've attached a few older sketches made using the cotton bud technique just to give an idea of the versatility of a cotton bud and putty rubber. Some were made using the mask, others without. I hope you have some fun with this.

Mike.

2016-04-18 16.22.50.jpg

2016-04-18 16.21.45.jpg

2016-04-18 16.20.55.jpg

2016-04-18 16.20.14.jpg

2016-04-18 16.19.10.jpg

2016-04-18 16.18.29.jpg

2016-04-18 16.17.17.jpg

2016-04-18 16.15.51.jpg

18 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Great explanation Mike. How do you work at the eyepiece? Do you use a head torch or something fixed to a clipboard? It would be good to see one of your rough sketches from the eyepiece  - if you are OK with publishing one! :icon_biggrin:

Hi Kerry,

Generally I use a red light attached to my pier. I've attached a few images of my rough sketches for your amusement. Getting comfortablet is important, so I tend to sit at the scope if I can and use a binoviewer more often than not.

Mike.

2016-04-13 18.21.42.jpg

2016-04-13 18.27.07.jpg

20160418_164213.jpg

20160418_164316.jpg

20160418_164425.jpg

20160418_164448.jpg

20160418_164515.jpg

Agree with John - thanks for doing this Mike.

That's a great set-up that you have. I don't have the luxury of an observatory, pier etc and I have found that a head torch is too distracting when I return to the eyepiece and so I want to find a simple way of attaching a red light to a clipboard.

I agree with Steve that attempting to do sketching certainly improves the observing experience and you do see more, which is why I am having go.

So far I have duplicated your first few steps on the iPad: the black background is fairly easy and then I have produced a template of an oval in the correct proportions for Jupiter. I have then put in the main belts faintly and in their correct position. Now for the difficult bit....

I like your sketch showing just the belts - this is where most of the action is on Jupiter and I think I will try to produce a sketch of these at the eyepiece and then try to transfer it to the iPad.  Watch this space - but don't hold your breath!

Thanks again

Kerry 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived