NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Your thoughts on the 6mm ethos.....

estwing

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently purchased a used 6E but more so to complement my 13 and 8E. I gave up an otherwise excellent 6D to help fund this and was aiming for wide field consistency with my other ethos. I have not had enough use as yet, only on observing Jupiter with my 8" dob and so far not as intended at a dark site with my 14".  It is as you would expect, a very impressive eyepiece, although not quite the same level of eye comfort as my former delos though adequate enough. I look forward to doing some lunar at the weekend. 

I've had the 6E since it was released. It's my most often used planetary eyepiece with my 12" dob giving a very useable 265x. Over the time I've owned it I've had a string of other 6mm eyepieces to compare it with (many on loan from FLO for review) but I've not found the Ethos wanting. It's actually fractionally lighter than the 6mm Delos, which surprised me.

But ....... if I'd had to part with the 13mm Ethos to get a 6mm Ethos I think I'd save some pennies and go with a 6mm Delos and keep the 13E. The hyper-wide field is really in it's element in the mid range focal lengths but even I'd have to admit that it's more of a "very nice to have" in shorter focal lengths.

I quite agree with John's comments, I would personally not consider giving up on my 13E and I do sometimes think if it was worth the while giving up on the 6 Delos. However in terms of planetary, there is definitely less nudging with a dob and for high power with my 14" scope, the ultra wide's will better encompass the larger / brighter globs and open clusters.  

Is powermating 13E for 314x not enough? and 510x by powermating 8E too much?

I'd think that getting a 10E make better sense if you want 100° FOV, by powermating 8E, 10E, 13E, you get 4mm, 5mm, 6.5mm, 8mm, 10mm and 13E in a nice spread of just over 20% jumps in mags, completely coverage your low to median range, unless you want even tighter spacing, that'll be a zoom....

Calvin,

Listern, don't sell the 13mm you will only regret it. The 6mm is a great eyepiece though I have to say of limited use to me and the Sumerian, it comes into play more so with you and your shorter scope, sort of like I use the 8mm whereas you use yours all the time.

I spent a long time with Delos 6mm and Ethos 6mm in my smaller shorter scopes and could see nothing between them with hours of observations, I also did the same with the 10mm and 17mm.

By all means buy the 6mm but keep the 13mm, you know it makes sense.

Alan ( TV sales dept )

Thanks for the input peeps, I think it's just a bit knee jerk reaction because yet again I've spent the weekend observing and not used the 13e..I suppose if I went bigger the 13 may come into play a bit more often?.The 8E has really kicked the 13E into touch since its purchase 

+1 for keeping the 13mm!

If you need to free cash for funding the 6mm, maybe sell the powermate 2x 2". You would still have 21, 13, 8 and this 6, all excellent mega wide fov eps. Also 0.5kg lighter without pm.

1 hour ago, estwing said:

I know what you mean Piero but the powemate gives me 6 ethos instead of 3!

That's true. :) 

Choices are limited though.. 17mm, 10mm, 6mm, 4.7mm, and 3.7mm.

17 # discards 17+2x option as you have the 8, but you get a 17. I guess not needed as you have the 21. 

10 # discards 21+2x option, but enables a new 5mm! YKSE's argument! :) This is also nice because you could just leave the PM on when using high power eps, beside of course giving a full range of high power eps as suggested in the post.

6 # discards 13+2x option, but you get a 3.. Will you use a 3?

4.7 # might discard 8+2x . PM with this???

3.7 # not sure how much you will use this. PM with this?????

Eventually, apart from getting a 10mm, whatever else you get, you will need your PM a bit less. To me the point here is your future plan. Briefly, how much you want to use your PM?

a) a lot. Then YKSE's answer fits the bill. 

b) a bit. Then a the 6mm should be a fair option

c) no longer. Well, wallet open.

To me YKSE's argument is a nice one because it is very comfortable: 21, 13, 10, 8 covering most of DSO and planetary of general nights. 6.5, 5, 4 for covering very high power planetary + tough doubles. The split is clear and you don't have to move around the PM, like now you would have if you want to use a 10 and then move to a 13 or an 8. 

Can you try one on your dobson, otherwise? As a few people in here have it, I am sure they would like to have a look through their six on your dobson as much as you would! :) 

The good thing is that whatever you get, you will have super views! :) 

I know the following doesn't help, but every time I observe through my Deloi, I jump for the views they deliver and not even for 1 second I have ever hesitated about whether that was a good purchase or not! Maybe one day I'll get a 6mm too and maybe later, I'll get rid of my PM if this won't get used. We won't live forever, and for us, people with a minimalist taste, getting an eyepiece more, it's not really a big issue! ;) 

The other question is: are you using more the "10.5" or "6.5"?

Considering your post: 

5 hours ago, estwing said:

[..] The 8E has really kicked the 13E into touch since its purchase 

I suspect you are using your "10.5" even less than your 13E. So, will the 10mm be really used or is it just needed for getting a 5mm giving about 400x (I guess)? Hence, we come back to my first post.. it's true that the PM gives you 3 additional ethos eps, but how many "practical ethos eps" does it give you apart from the 6.5mm? If just the latter one, maybe getting a 6mm ethos could actually free you from using your PM?

I don't have the answer, but I'm just trying to put more cards on the table.

Perhaps there ought to be a little meter on our eyepieces that records each time they are used. At the end of a season you tally up the usage and then sell off the under used ones ...... then again, thats an awful idea John ! :tongue:

I don't really count the time I use one or the other, with having a few scopes they all get a turn sooner or later. In my Dob the most used eyepieces are the 31mm Nagler 21mm Ethos, I think this is more to do with not having to adjust the Paracorr though.

The 10mm is a good option though I have rarely seen this on the S/H market which sort of tells a story of either there are not that many out there or they are so good people will not sell, I feel it's the former. I actually sold my Powermate because it didn't get used but that was when I had about 30 eyepieces. I also tended to favour tighter planetary views on my driven scopes where massive FOV is not really an advantage the same way it is in the Sumerian.

With my TV sales hat on I feel you want both of them in the end so which one is for you now, I still keep looking at the 4.7mm, the one John rightly convinced me I didn't need, then he got one. About the only thing with regards to the Ethos range I can say is I can't see a case for me to have the 3.7mm, yet. Calvin for yourself I see a case for having the same collection as me without the the PM, lest face it it does look a bit ungainly but great for viewing from indoors:icon_biggrin:.

6 hours ago, alan potts said:

..... I still keep looking at the 4.7mm, the one John rightly convinced me I didn't need, then he got one....

Still feeling a little guilty about that :embarrassed:

Archived