NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's the GRS Jim, but not as we know it!

Stu

I took this image handheld at the eyepiece with a iPhone this evening. Seeing was fabulous tonight and the visual views quite amazing. This is an extremely poor representation of those views, but does show the GRS (squinting also helps ???)

I can also just make out the dark oval in the NEB in line with GRS, plus the northern and southern temperate zones and belts.

image.jpeg

GRS with a phone is quite some feat if you ask me, lovely snap, congrats Stu :)

I had the ED80 out on the CG5 goto last night, and couldn't believe the views I was getting: I could see fine detail in Jup plus I could see that the GRS was clearly red! M82 was a razor sharp sliver, and I could detect the cores the of M51 over head. 

Great night last night, agree about the dew though, my lens was fogged over by the end and I don't usually get that with little fracs. 

Thanks both. It's funny, it looks so much worse on the laptop screen this morning vs on my phone last night ;). My apologies to anyone who regards themselves as a planetary imager :(

I was quite fortunate last night, no dew on the objectives, just a bit of misting up of eyepieces which was sorted quite easily. GRS was very colourful last night, orangy red I guess you would say, and so much other detail visible. I do love the stability of views that you get with a refractor, the image is just there all the time under good seeing. I'm enjoying my Vixen GP mount too, very easy to setup and now it has the GotoNova drives on it, full goto/SkySafari is available to me. That said, I only looked at Jupietr last night, but the tracking really helps, allowing you to concentrate on pulling out the detail.

46 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice catch. I am not sure the dark feature in the NEB at the same longitude as the GRS is a dark oval or barge. It looks more like a cusp in the wavy pattern just below the NEB in the equatorial zone.Jupiter_204836_g4_b3_ap22RS6b.jpg

Thanks Michael, yes I agree. Having seen yours and a few other images of the same time, it is definitely not a barge but as you say, just a particularly dark area within the turbulence below the NEB.

Archived