Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observation of 252P/LINEAR

I needed two attempts. Yesterday I got up at 4 o'clock. By the time I had found the stars below in Ophiuchus, the comet was behind a tree. Today I got up at 3:40 and was started observing at 04:00 with a pair of 10x50 binoculars. And there it was, exactly where the search map said it would be. It was not easily visible, about as bright as M10/M12 and I had to look really well. I saw a big grey spot that was not exactly round, but couldn't see any tail.

In the process, I also spotted Mars and Saturn, IC4665, M5 (very bright) and M10 and M12 and the asterism Sudor Opiuchi.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I was out by 4:30 and was able to spot the comet.  I found it challenging.   If it wasn't where the  charts said it would be, I might not have found it.    Comet 252P/LINEAR is a very different beast than  Catalina or Lovejoy.   It is very large and diffuse.  According to SkyTools 3 it's mag 6.3, but it's bright just like M101 is bright.   I was able to see it as a large dim roughly circular blob in my 20mm EP.   Actually it was 
more of a absence of darkness than a dim glow.   It was easier to see in my finder than in the eyepiece.  More dark sky around it for better contrast I guess.   

My advice for anyone looking for this is to start early before the start of morning twilight.   It won't take much extra light to make it invisible.   And while you're out there take a peek at Mars and Saturn nearby.   Mars is getting big enough to start to show detail.   I was able to a polar ice cap and some darker detail on planetary disk.   Saturn is getting higher in the sky and I had my best view of it this year so far. 

Had a break from the seemingly endless El Nino clouds this morning and found it with 7X50 binoculars, then with the scope. As soon as there was barely a hint of twilight could no longer see it through the binoculars. It is large, almost moon sized and with the scope saw a large, dim nucleus. According to my records this makes comet # 42 for me, does this make me eligible for some sort of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy prize? ; )

Congratulations.   Finding 42 comets solves all problems of life, the universe, and everything.  That is something we all aspire to do.  Although I don't really understand the question, but no matter.   You've won free tickets to the Restaurant at the end of the Universe.  So grab a towel, a beer and a handful of peanuts.   The Vogon Constructor fleet is on the way to take you there.    

This is the most exciting thing since I got off the B-Ark

• 3 weeks later...

Archived