Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

deep sky stacker and CR2 problem

Canon 1200D with Canon RAW files.

Hi everyone

DSS cannot handle the stacking of the new Canon CR2 fles it seems. 3.3.2 gives only a narrow strip after stacking, a known problem with a solution. So I upgraded to 3.3.4 and the whilst the flat, dark and bias frames now seem to be the correct aspect ratio, the stacking fails to produce a final image. After the stacking process ends seemingly successfully, the final image fails to appear and there is nothing meaningfu in Autosave.tif. The image cannot be aved as there is no final image produced. 

Any ideas anyone? Alternatives that work with CR2?

TIA

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, alacant said:

Yes, but each conversion takes ages. I just converted 18 light frames from cr2 to tif. It took around 4 hours. I've just started the bias. So ot really an option...

What did you use to convert RAW to TIFF ? should only take a few seconds each.

What spec' is your computer ?

Dave

2 hours ago, Tinker1947 said:

Version 3.3.4 works with them, its a beta type i believe....

Hi. No, unfortunately not. That's the version I'm using. There's something different about the CR2 files from a Canon 1200D it seems that the DSS guys haven't got yet. 

55 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

Thats correct it should be a few seconds in DPP.

Hi

You can't use old software with the new raw format. The only program that will recognise the new Canon CR2 is Canon's 'Digital Photo Profesional' which comes with the camera. It's running on XP in a virtual machine but it's not much better on a native computer. The files are large: Each 24Mb CR2 produces a 102.7Mb tif. But pleae tell me of a better way of doing this. Until the DSS guys realise that it doesn't work I think that the only way I can stack is to spend hours converting to tif:(

TIA and thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

May be your computer, difficult to say, mine is i5 8GB and processes them in seconds, probably multi threading.

Do you know anyone locally with a new laptop that will let you try on it.

Dave

Hi. 3.3.2 needed installation. I've uninstalled that. 3.3.4 is just an exe file. No installation required. I upack the rar and there's an exe. I Click that and 3.3.4 fires up. Is that correct so far?

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

No, Canon 1200D doesn't appear. Maybe that's the problem? What should I choose for camera?

DSS uses DCRAW and the 1200D is supported.
You don't need to choose a camera it should decode the files as Peter points out.

If you have DPP it should easily convert RAW to tif fairly quickly.

If it does'nt may be you pc is not upto it or you could get the latest Canon software.
You can download the latest using your Canon serial number.

I updated the software but really the point is I should be able to use the rc2 files as-is on 3.3.4 I think. Is there anything in the camera I may have overlooked? I have RAW + L with firmware version 1.0.1, no auto rotate and iso 1600...

TIA

Archived