Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Lunar shots with ASI120mm and 150mm F/5 Newt

Chris

I've not had the ZWO ASI120MM that long, but I'm really enjoying using it so far. Here's my first Lunar efforts using my Celestron CN-6 Newtonian and 2.5x Barlow. Stacked in AS2, wavelets in RS6.

They kind of seem crisp and blury at the same time? Still, it's nice to get any kind of images now days :)

21_03_16Moon1.png

21_03_16Moon3.png

21_03_16Moon4.png

3 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Nice images Chris but i think that the focus was very slightly off.

Peter

I think you could be right Peter :) I used a focus mask to get focus on a star, but I guess the Moon isn't quite at infinity focus? The seeing was really boiling away which didn't help.

some nice detail in them captures Chris :happy7:

still trying to get to grips with my ASI120mm and associated capture software/settings, it is such a fine line between in /out focus 

James

4 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

I think you could be right Peter :) I used a focus mask to get focus on a star, but I guess the Moon isn't quite at infinity focus? The seeing was really boiling away which didn't help.

I think that the Moon would be in focus if the star was but would still be boiling away. There was a post on here recently about this but I can't find it.

Peter

I'm just wondering if it looks out of focus because of my stacking method? It looks more focused where I placed the allignment dots used to stack, so perhaps it's become slightly blured during stacking where I've not placed these dots?

Nice images. Regarding focus: In your 6" F/5 Newtonian the focus of the star would be 1.463 nm further in from a star. Less than 1/300 wavelength. I doubt your mirror is that good ;)

I personally prefer to use LR deconvolution with ImPPG  to Regsitax wavelets. I use "place APs in grid" in AS!2 with a small AP size (25) under good seeing conditions, and a bit larger if seeing is wobbly

Me again. Focus looks a touch out but I experimented with an IR pass filter and the results were tangibly improved. Like Michael I use auto grid and small APs with the Moon. You end up with hundreds but it works well. Remember to use the Surface Feature reference rather than Planet. A couple of examples on Flickr link. Also like Michael I don't use RS6 wavelets, it's much too harsh.

Thanks for the tips Michael and Chris :) I think I made a right bodge of the stacking, i.e. I'm fairly sure I left it on the planetary setting, I didn't do any kind of grid, and I didn't change the size of the dots. I did use a Baader UV/IR cut filter. 

I've not heard of ImPPG but I'll Google it :) 

Chris - I'll check out your pics, cheers :)

• 2 months later...

Archived