SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter's Great Red Spot

kev100

Hiya, a glance at Jovemoons yesterday afternoon indicated that the GRS would be nicely positioned early enough in the evening for the kids to have a look. So, I set up the scope around 7pm, and we had a look. For me, seeing wasn't great, but the GRS did shimmer into view from time to time as the planet drifted down through the FOV. My eldest boy (10) had a look, and, though it took him a little while to get his eye in, he reported seeing it, but not very clearly – it definitely came and went. Around 8 my wife and youngest son (8) came home and had a look. My wife initially struggled to see the GRS, but eventually got there. My youngest, though, as soon as he put his eye to the EP exclaimed 'Wow! The Great Red Spot!' He said it was really clear and red ... Even at 240 times mag he said the GRS was clear, but a bit fuzzy, whilst to me the planet was better at x136 in the ES 8.8.

Oh, for younger eyes ... :)

Kev

Nice one Kev, great to have the whole family viewing it!

As you say, the seeing was pretty miserable last night for me too, hopefully you will get some better view of it whilst Jupiter is still near opposition

I try to involve the kids as much as possible, but they can't do late, cold nights yet. My wife's interested, and will have a look when there's something particular to see, but not for several hours roaming the sky. 

I thought it amazing how much more my youngest got out of it, though, and how more obvious the GRS was for him.

1 hour ago, kev100 said:

I try to involve the kids as much as possible, but they can't do late, cold nights yet. My wife's interested, and will have a look when there's something particular to see, but not for several hours roaming the sky. 

I thought it amazing how much more my youngest got out of it, though, and how more obvious the GRS was for him.

Oh to have started this hobby 25 years ago! What a difference it must make.

Ha, I cannot get the wife interested in it at all. I once had the best views of Saturn I have ever experienced, the Casini division nice and clear using my 6.4mm. As it was twilight in summer and she was still in the garden I asked her if she wanted a look and she practically refused to take a couple of seconds to look in the eyepiece and went inside! I guess it's not for everyone.

Archived