SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baby names

schuey100

Long time lurker here, I've been researching which scope to buy for about a year now so I've found this place really useful. However I have a slightly different need at the moment.

I need some baby names, but the reason I'm positing here is that I'm trying to find a cosmological related name.

There are some obvious ones and not so obvious, I've personally come up with Heidi (comet) and a friend suggested Sagan as a boy's first name (I like it although it's not directly cosmo related).

So does anyone have any suggestions? The baby's due in 7 weeks and we don't know if it's a boy or girl so any help is much appreciated, planets, comets, universes, anything along those lines would be great.

Spock, Sulu, Chekov or anything Star Trek related not required :grin:

First of all congratulations, and I hope everything goes OK in 6-8 weeks (my 1st was 1 week late, my 2nd a week early!) Just don't miss it.

How about some obvious ones Ed/Edmond as in Halley, Issac as in Newton, Neil as in Armstrong...

Best of luck,

Brian.

Congratulations on the forthcoming event. I hope everything goes well for you both.

As far as finding a name for the child, I can only offer two, one for either or.

Girl: Selina, a derivitive of Selene, a name used for the Moon.

Boy: Sol. A name for the Sun.

Naming your children is really a personal thing though.

Ron.

Those two are nice Ron.

Due in seven weeks eh? I dare say you've already got Leo then?

Non obvious, maybe something like Perigee?

JMHO but Sagan is about as directly cosmo related as a name can get 8) Could be a great first name for a boy or girl. Not sure how it'd shorten though.

Congrats though whatever you decide on.

Matthew

Thanks guys, it's all very exciting, the only downside is that the wife banned me from starting the new astronomy hobby I'd deci ded upon so now I just read about what everyone else is doing on here :grin: Apparently one the baby's here I won't have time to spend looking up at the sky, too many nappies to change apparently.

So Sagan is nice, but different and shortening it to Sage doesn't work. Sage might I suppose. Selina is also nice. A friend suggested I look at names of moons or sattelites this morning, Thebe or Leda for example.

So many to choose from :lol:

I'm guessing Yoda and Jabba would be out, but many astro things are named for mythological figures. Might be worth a look at some Greek myths etc.

Good luck with the naming thing, its hard chosing one I know.

My boy got called Ed because it said EDD on the calendar the day he arrived. (Expected Due Date for the uninitiated)

Kaptain Klevtsov

During my N.H.S days I met a wonderful elderly lady (93yo) who was named Rhea. Her mother had been "in service" to a wealthy family and they had a daughter by the same name.

I thought it was a lovely name.

All the best

Bill£ :grin:

I don't know which names you should use - but here are some you should not use (IMHO anyway): :grin:

BETELGEUSE - reminds of the movie

CURSA - sounds like swearing

FORNACIS - sounds rude

SHAM - a bit of a negative atmosphere to it

TRAPEZIUM - a shape

WASAT - sounds a bit like "What's that"

Sam

I don't know which names you should use - but here are some you should not use (IMHO anyway): :grin:

BETELGEUSE - reminds of the movie

CURSA - sounds like swearing

FORNACIS - sounds rude

SHAM - a bit of a negative atmosphere to it

TRAPEZIUM - a shape

WASAT - sounds a bit like "What's that"

Sam

Sam, you missed off URANUS lol

During my N.H.S days I met a wonderful elderly lady (93yo) who was named Rhea. Her mother had been "in service" to a wealthy family and they had a daughter by the same name.

I thought it was a lovely name.

All the best

Bill£ :grin:

isn't that a bird like an ostrich???

EDIT FOR PICTURE:

rhea-2.jpg

I called my daughter Maia. It was in fact the enigmatic sister of the investigator Falco in the book series. It turns out Maia is the oldest and most beautiful of the Seven Sisters, the Pleiades! Lyra is also nice and the heroine of His Dark Materials trilogy.

Andromeda? But then she might be nick named Andy! :shock:

Try this for star names:

http://www.naic.edu/~gibson/starnames/starnames.html

Alexxx

Archived